question

Oscar avatar image
Oscar asked

how to split Multiplus 12 800 35 VE.bus port to use VE.Bus Smart dongle

Question : how to split Multiplus 12 800 35 VE.bus port to use VE.Bus Smart dongle

Product : Multiplus 12 800 35 connected to an External VE.Bus BMS through VE.Bus BMS Main Detector

Hello everybody.

Guys I have a Multiplus 12 800 35 Inverter/charger and I would like to connect a VE.Bus Smart dongle in order to have the possibility to use the App " Victron connect " to monitor most of the Inverter /charger parameters via Bluetooth

The problem is that - at present - the only VE.Bus port of the Multiplus is used by the VE.Bus MBS Mains detector , connected to the AC-IN port and to an External VE.Bus BMS that controls a 100 A Lithium battery .

How can we split the unique VE.Bus port of the Multiplus to have the possibility to connect also the VE.Bus Smart dongle ? I did not find this possibility on Victron’s schematics. Do you have it ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Oscar

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVE.BusVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/rj45-splitter

But the VE.Bus BMS also have a second VE.Bus port to connect a remote panel or the smart dongle.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Oscar avatar image Oscar commented ·

Hi Matthias first of all may thanks for your prompt answer !! When you stated " But the VE.Bus BMS also have a second VE.Bus port to connect a remote panel or the smart dongle. " do you mean that I can connect the "smart dongle " to the "remote" BMS port ( usually used to connect a remote panel ) and - in this way - having the possibility to read the Multiplus parameters via Bluetooth ? Am I correct ? Thanks and have a great day !

Oscar

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Oscar commented ·
Yes that should work.
0 Likes 0 ·
Oscar avatar image Oscar commented ·

I will try and let you know , thanks mate for now and have a great evening.

Oscar

0 Likes 0 ·
ralph-hummel avatar image ralph-hummel Oscar commented ·
Hi, I am looking for the same solution. Thanks for letting us know if that works.
0 Likes 0 ·
Oscar avatar image
Oscar answered ·

img-e8226.jpgimg-8231.jpgimg-e8230.jpgGood afternoon Matthias , I was able to implement what you suggested :

1# I connected the "Smart dongle " to the second port of the external BMS called " Remote" where we usually connect the Multiplus remote panel

2# in this way I was able to see the Multiplus in the list of the devices using the Victron connect app and to enter in the Multiplus but with some LIMITATIONS..here is what I noticed :

a) when I use the " Remote " port of the external BMS ( since connected to the Smart dongle ) , the blue light on the BMS "multiplus/quattro" ENABLE goes OFF

b) in the Multiplus menu , under "settings" there are some limitations i.e some menus are greyout like " Mode" and " ON " . The only things I can do is to see the main Multiplus parameters and to change the AC Input current . In the Victron connect app is written that these settings are disable ( see pictures . )

I think this may due to the fact I am using the REMOTE port of the external BMS.

Do you know if I can bypass these limitations using an RJ45 splitter ?

Thanks in advance , have nice evening.

Oscar

img-8231.jpg (2.8 MiB)
img-e8230.jpg (268.0 KiB)
img-e8226.jpg (507.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

No you can't bypass that.

As the app says it is a limitation due to the connected VE.Bus BMS.
It doesn't matter where you plug in the Smart Dongle it will still recognize that there is a VE.Bus BMS connected.

Unfortunately that is a limitation of the VE.Bus protocol.

0 Likes 0 ·
Oscar avatar image Oscar Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Thanks mate I will try also with the RJ45 splitter even if I am not sure to bypass these limitations as you stated. The only set up I can do is to limit the AC1 input current ( set as default to 16 A ) . I cannot switch on or off the Multiplus remotely. Who sold me the Smart dongle propably was not aware of these ..I think I have to install a remote panel ..and give back the dongle ..

Oscar

0 Likes 0 ·