question

lkvic avatar image
lkvic asked

Victron 712 Smart 4.07 update fails

Victron 712 Smart says the current version is 4.05 and settings, etc. are not available until updating to 4.07. Updating fails with D26 at 2% update. SOC and Consumed Ah now shows "--" occasionally, while next time I see the values. I cannot go into settings to reset charge level. Using two Android devices, both have the same problem.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

Can you please make a service report of the update and post that here in an answer? The procedure is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

This might give us some more information on what is going wrong with the update.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lkvic avatar image lkvic commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @lkvic

Thank you for the service report. This showed us what the problem is and where to fix it in VictronConnect. This will take some time however.

In the mean time, there is 2 methods that you could use to update the BMV. The first one is using the VE.Direct port on the BMV. This however requires a VE.Direct->USB cable. When you have such a cable available, it can be connected to your phone using a USB-A/USB-C adapter, VictronConnect should recognise it and detect the attached BMV and then allows the update.

When you do not have such a cable available, the other option (probably) requires you to dismount the BMV. You need to disconnect the grey shunt cable from the BMV and reconnect the cable while holding down the left and right buttons on the BMV. This is a bit fiddly. I found it easiest to first disconnect the shunt cable and then hold the BMV with one hand with my thumb on the backside and two fingers on the front pressing the buttons. The other hand can then be used to reconnect the shunt cable. After the cable has been reconnected, the display should show "bt200" or "bt201". When this is the case, you can connect with VictronConnect and VictronConnect should automatically jump to the firmware update screen and the firmware update should now succeed.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 comments
2 |3000

Neither method works. I've used the cable, and get the same update error as with Bluetooth. I disconnected the BMV, holding the buttons when reconnecting the cable. The remote dial does not show bt200 or bt201 (the dial shows "setup" and rotates with "capacity" and another word.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

You kept both the buttons pressed while inserting the cable? This should really cause the display to show bt200 or bt201. If this is not the case, and the fact that updating via the cable gave the same result, there is something very wrong with that BMV and you should contact the seller for an RMA request.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @lkvic

After seeing the service report, we thought we knew what the problem was. But now that it seems that your BMV does not want to go into the update mode (which would show BT200 or BT201), it seems to be a different problem. The first problem probably could have been fixed in VictronConnect, but the problem that the BMV does not want to go into update mode cannot be fixed in VictronConnect and is a problem with the BMV.

I do have one more question:
Could it be that the down button is stuck in the pressed position? As this would cause the update failure that I see in the service log. You can check this by keeping the down button pressed for 3 seconds, after which you should here a beep. If this is not the case, then the down button in stuck in the pressed position.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 comments
2 |3000

There is no beep holding the down button for 3 seconds. Also, I again have lost the read outs of "State of charge" and "Consumed Ah." They were lost before but came back a few days later. What do you suggest?
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @lkvic

Please contact your seller to have the BMV replaced, as it looks like the down button of the BMV is acting weird.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources