question

Colin Mills avatar image
Colin Mills asked

How to protect your batteries against a failed Multiplus?

Many know that a battery protect cannot be connected between a Multiplus and the batteries. So if while unattended, the Multiplus throws a wobbly and either continuously charges or discharges the batteries, what can be used to disconnected it when the voltage exceeds some pre-defined limit? I know when it's working it will look after the batteries. My concern is when it fails. With a separate charger and inverter, a couple of battery disconnects could be used, but not with an inverter/charger.

I know many LiFePO4 batteries have a built in BMS which will disconnect them but I have a Batrium BMS which will ask the Multiplus (via the CAN bus and Color GX) to stop but cannot actually disconnect it.

I supposed I could use a big relay but I don't like the idea of having a permanently energised relay in the system.

I guess I'm looking for a 250A (I have the Multiplus 3KVA) common port battery disconnect.

TIA

Multiplus-IIBMSBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

The Batrium Main Unit has some solid state relais which can be used to trigger a shunt trip device. This will disconnect the batteries in case of errors.

Hope it helps

Jens

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Colin Mills avatar image Colin Mills commented ·
That's an idea. I don't really trust the Batrium as I regularly have to power cycle it because it loses connection to the WiFi after which I can't monitor what it's doing.
0 Likes 0 ·