question

Ian Fullwood avatar image
Ian Fullwood asked

Venus GX alarm rules

I have a Venus GX device and want to set an alarm if 'someone' moves it. I know I can connect a GPS to the GSM GX cellular modem but can I set an alarm without using a GPS device (perhaps using Lat / Long or Speed alarm rules?). If so how will the unit 'know' it has moved - does it 'know' its location if I have set it manually on the VRM portal or is that simply a 'point' that I have designated it to be on a map and it does not really know its own location.

Venus GX - VGXalarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I added a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver to my Cerbo GX. This worked plug and play and then I set up a geofence alarm in VRM, you choose a location and a radius around this and if the vehicle moves out of the specified circle you get emailed an alarm.

I do not think you can do it without the GPS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mark-a avatar image
mark-a answered ·

Definitely you need a GPS for the GX to know its location or leave a note in your vehicle for those who move it telling them to please update the location in the VRM ;-)

But you can get GPS for little money nowadays. I'm using one of those U-Blox flight controller modules as I had it lying around but there are these VK-162 devices now which come with a USB cable attached. You just have to watch out as some sellers seemingly advertise the module but in the fine print you find they're only selling an additional antenna or somesuch.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic