question

lurenut avatar image
lurenut asked

12v from 24v Charger

I have a Phoenix Smart IP43 24/16(3) charger. Am I able to program the charger to get 12v from 1 of the 3 battery ouputs and 24v from the other 2 outputs ?

If not, is there a way to achieve this ?

Cheers Rob

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The 24V models are for charging 24V batteries and the 12V models are for charging 12V batteries.
Alas, it is not possible to program a 24V charger (or part thereof) to become a 12V charger because it is the hardware that defines what Voltage batteries the charger is for.

You'd need to get a 12V charger for the 12V battey(ies).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lurenut avatar image
lurenut answered ·

Thank you for the reply - can I alternatively connect an Orion-TR Smart 24/12-20A DC-DC charger from the 24v battery to the 12v battery whilst still using Phoenix Smart IP43 24/16(3) charger on the 24v battery ?

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, that would work.

You'd just need to be aware that the DC-DC charger would continue to discharge the 24V battery into the 12V battery if you switch the AC charger off. So you'd need to disable the DC-DC charger when switching off the AC charger, a simple switch could be wired into the "remote" terminals of the DC-DC charger. Otherwise you can the "engine shutdown" Voltage settings to limit the discharge of the 24V battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I would think that if you connected the 24v DC to 12 DC out unit to ONE of the chargers 24 volt outputs that WAS NOT connected to a battery AT ALL, then it will ONLY take 24 volt power and charge the 12 volt battery when the charger is on as the internal diodes would stop the 24 batteries from back feeding to the DC to DC converter

0 Likes 0 ·