question

Isaac Shannos avatar image
Isaac Shannos asked

Max charge current setting on MPPT

Setting the max charge current on the MPPT,

Thinking of using a 100/50.

Will that be the max the MPPT will output at all given times?

My battery only has a max charge current of 30a. But my solar capacity would exceed 30a. If the battery is charging at 30a, and I have 50a of solar available what happens to the other 20a? Would be to used by the inverter if a load is turned on? Or would it not be available because of the max charge current set on the MPPT.

I assume DVCC would be helpful in this scenario but it is a small system I am trying to do it as minimal as possible.

Would Smart Battery Sense help identify what is going into the battery and what is surplus solar?

Or do I need a GX and have DVCC enabled.

Thanks in advance.

DVCCmppt chargingSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

If you just have the MPPT100/50, and set the output current to 30A, this will only produce 30A. The excess PV power will be curtailed - the MPPT won't take it from the Modules. If you also have an inverter or other DC loads, then you would need a smart shunt (or similar) GX and DVCC. It sounds like you need a bigger battery..? The smart battery sense won't help as it does not monitor the battery current - just voltage and temperature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual

DVCC chapter in GX manual