question

hampster21 avatar image
hampster21 asked

Smart Lithium problem after firmware update

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, i updated the firmware on my smart lithium batteries (mandatory updates V1.24) through the Victron Connect App, all of which were working perfectly before, now some of them even though the firmware stated completed, now come up with a E-SL24 hardware failure alarm and a E-SL2 internal communications failure, the recommendation is to reinstall the firmware to reset the controllers but you cannot do this as the App states "your product is already running the latest firmware version"...

The batteries are:-

24V 200AH smart LiFeP04

12V 90AH smart LiFeP04

Any ideas as i do not want have to replace these perfectly good batteries.

Regards

Steve

Lithium Batteryfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
rjacobs avatar image
rjacobs answered ·

Hi Steve, There is a new feature to restart the controller. It is on the Productinfo page of your battery on VictronConnect.

Regards, Roland

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hampster21 avatar image
hampster21 answered ·

Thank you for your answer rjacobs that still does not fix the issue, i have checked into the hardware a bit more and it seems as if the bluetooth module which handles the comms to the slave BMS boards has stopped sending any data requests (regular comms pulses) which the working batteries are sending.

Regards

Steve

1 comment
2 |3000

kgornall avatar image kgornall commented ·
You get a fix for this yet? My sys is completely down still and we have a trip coming us. I hate that they have forced updates like this.
0 Likes 0 ·
rwcran avatar image
rwcran answered ·

I am told by Victron there is a bug (error) in the latest firmware update that is responsible for these problems. As I understand it the firmware in error was the smart dongle firmware so any device that uses the smart dongle to commumicate with the Victron Connect App will expereice issues. My multiplus uses the dongle and I am getting "Unknow" and "Fault" messages displayed. I will never again update my Victron Connect App for at least 2 months following a new firmware update thereby giving Victron time to fix any possible issues. I choose not to be a beta tester for their firmware!

4 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @rwcran , I’m not sure this is related to the request from the Original Poster

with regards to your problem: is it solved already? Or discussed somewhere so I can check?

0 Likes 0 ·
rwcran avatar image rwcran mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

No my problem is not solved as are several other posters with the same problem resulting from the latest Victron firmware update on the smart dongle.

See https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/93095/multiplus-3000-12v-reporting-unknown-vs-inverting.html?childToView=93484#comment-93484

I have power cycled the dongle and the Multiplus removing all power for 5 minutes and this did not correct the problem. The issue began "immediately" (and everyting was working correctly prior to the update) upon installing the most current firmware version on the dongle and the multi. The dongle is running firmware V1.10, Bootloader V1.04 and the Multi V459. I am only having issues with the multi as it's the only device I have using a dongle. My solar controller and BMV-712 don't use a dongle and both appear to be functioning correctly from my iPhone Victron Connect App. Until you get this fixed how about putting out a temporary version of dongle firmware release on Victron Connect that has the previous firmware version so I can get my system back in full operation? This situation is frustrating for users. When connected via the dongle to my multi the Victron Connect app cycles between displaying "unknown", "fault", and "inverting" and after some time displays fault continuously.

0 Likes 0 ·
wts avatar image wts rwcran commented ·
Totally agree!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ wts commented ·
Noted both, be assured its looked into urgently; my apologies for the inconvenience caused.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Steve, we’ll contact you by email. Sorry for the troubles!

1 comment
2 |3000

kgornall avatar image kgornall commented ·
Any update on this?
0 Likes 0 ·
kgornall avatar image
kgornall answered ·

Same issue here. Tried to restart controller, Failed. Tried to restore back to old firmware by downloading over bup file in connect app. After applying old update, It then forces me to reapply new update. Went ahead and applied again, same result. I am running 2 of the 24v batteries. One updated fine. Other failed.2021-07-06 09.12.26.jpg

2021-07-06-091226.jpg (314.6 KiB)
2 |3000

gregs avatar image
gregs answered ·

Same error codes, E-SL24 and E-SL2, but in my case the battery arrived like this. After trying a firmware update, resetting the controller and even disconnecting power to the controller, the dealer was advised by Victron to replace the battery under warranty. I received a new battery but also have the original battery that seems destined for the recycler - which is just so wasteful. Anyone have any ideas for how to avoid disposing of this battery? Can a new controller board be purchased or the cells repurposed?

2 |3000