question

geomz avatar image

Connect CCGX to SeeLevel N2K tank monitor interface

I apologize if I missed something already posted, but I’m trying to connect an N2K SeeLevel Tank monitor to a CCGX.

I am a bit confused as to what I physically need to facilitate this connection.

I have no other N2K “network” or system in place, and only have the CCGX and the SeeLevel (N2K enabled) controller head.

Is there a cable I can buy (or pinouts for a cable I can make myself) to connect these devices directly to each other?

There was a reference made by @mvader (Victron Energy)

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6170/rv-c-can-bus-tank-monitors.html

as follows:

For clarity, the “Victron N2K adapter to which @ben refers is just a plug converter goes from micro-c n2k style to RJ-45 Victron VE.Can style.

No electrical components or software in there.

which makes me wonder if I can connect them directly??

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

CCGX Color Controltank monitorNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You will need to make a Can Bus Network. The example below shows two device connections, you can have as many as you want

Terminator to 12v power injector to a tee connector to a terminator the Device 1 connects to the CCGX and device 2 to the sealevel tank monitor you will also have to program the sealevel tank monitor with the correct fluid type as well I would think.

1624176491456.png

1624176491456.png (54.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks @Paul B for the answer above.

While I greatly appreciate the info above, I’m not really looking to implement a whole bunch of extra/thick wires to connect these two devices (6” apart) to each other.

A solution as above would require meters of drop wires, endpoint wire, ends, connectors, et al. Since I have no (current) use for canbus, beyond this situation, I was looking for a simpler direct-connect setup.

I know I can terminate one end of the CanBus with the CCGX rj45 terminator I already have. I can terminate the other end with a simple 120ohm resistor or another rj45 plug wired into the bundle

The tank monitor end will be an RV-C cable that I’ll have to cobble together anyway.

I would like to know the pinouts of the CCGX for can-hi can-lo ground and which pins to inject +-12v onto.

Thanks again

Victron Supply a drop cable to do this VE Can ti nmea micro-c male ASS030520200 I do not know the pin outs, so suggest that you purchase the correct cable.

1624334413935.png

1624334413935.png (67.2 KiB)