question

Andy Todd avatar image
Andy Todd asked

Wire and Fuse Sizes?

I have 4 X MPPT 100/20's going to a fuse box. Cable run 0.5m. Each input to the box is fused separately. What wire size and fuse should I use? I was advised 40A on each input, but this seems too high??

What wire size should I use from the fuse box to the battery? Cable run 2m.

On the input to each MPPT 100/20 are 2 x's 115W panel wired in series. The circuit goes through an isolation switch. The systems is on a boat.

Do I need fuses PV to MPPT? What size?

Is there a general rule of thumb?

MPPT SmartSolarfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

On a lot of DC wiring the fuse is mainly to protect the wire in case of short circuit.

As the 100/20 can accept 6mm cable, I would use 4.5-6mm. Considering 4.5mm cable is normally rated to around 50A, I would say a 40A fuse would be fine.

From the fuse box to the battery, the minimum I would use is 16mm cable with a 100A fuse. If you plan to use the fuse box for other devices in the future I would suggest going to 35mm cable or even larger and fused 10-25% below the cable rating.

Fusing of solar panels can be a whole discussion on its own and I will leave that for someone else to advise you on, it will depend on where you are mounting them, what protection the cables have, and a lot of other factors. In my motorhome I have dual pole breakers for the panels near the MPPT’s, but they don’t really protect much if the panel wiring was to get damaged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic