question

Simon Grover avatar image
Simon Grover asked

correct breakers for mppt 150-70-tr

Hi. need some info on which size breaker I need for my solar array and for my battery as I have little knowledge on this. PV array will be 4x200w renorgy panals. (isc- 10.9)(Vmp-21v)(imp 9.2v) in series and will have 300ah lithium battery from CANBAT. thank you

MPPT SmartSolarfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Breakers are for the cables not for the MPPT. So you need to select breakers adequate for the cable size that you intend to use.

You did not mention what your battery Voltage will be. If it is 12V then with an 800W solar array you'll get pretty close to the 70A maximum at times.
So a 25mm² cable would be good for the run between the MPPT and battery. An 80A breaker would be suitable.

Solar cables would be good with a 4mm² cable, 6mm²if the cable run is long. I usually use a good HRC 15A fuse for a single string. A good breaker that can break high Voltage DC circuits would be OK.

If you prefer to use breakers instead of fuses, make sure they are good quality ones that don't open too early or can open DC circuits without setting themselves on fire.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Simon Grover avatar image
Simon Grover answered ·

sorry yes, 12v system. I have 10awg (5.26 MM2) cable running 20ft from the van roof down to the mppt which will be within touching distance to the battery. thank tyou for the help

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic