question

harold avatar image
harold asked

Quattro Low Battery Alarm/Warning during engine start

Victron enthausiats,

Almost every time I start the main engine of my boat, I get an alarm or warning for Low Battery, sometimes also for DC ripple.
I hoped the newest version of the Quattro firmware would solve these very short "disruptions'.
Can these be solved by a setting?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Are you powering your inverter off the starter battery? If so, your system's behavior is predictable as the starter motor places a huge demand on the battery and voltage will drop very low.

You can reduce the Quatro's low voltage warning/alarm settings but this may prevent shutdown in conditions that it SHOULD shut down. A separate "house" DC electrical system is really called for.

If you already have a separate "house" battery system, make sure it's properly isolated from the starter/alternator system. The best isolation is a DC-DC charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Thanks,

Thought so too.

The generator has a separated battery, the main engine uses the main battery, this is suiteble for my use now.

2 |3000