question

imthebatman avatar image
imthebatman asked

Which BMS for my van system?

Hi all

Currently designing my install for a VW Transporter. I'm a novice when it comes to this, but love to learn as I go. The diagram is what I have so far, a work in progress.

My question at this point is. Do I need the VE Bus BMS when using the Multiplus or will the Smart Shunt be sufficient?

I don't need any external displays and I'm happy to control things via the phone app. Also, I'm aware I'll need a bigger battery for the 12/1200 Multiplus, and I haven't placed some of the fuses I'll need in the diagram yet.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

van-system-v1.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerwiringve.bus bms
van-system-v1.jpg (1.6 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered ·

Hello batman,

everything is very good so far. The SmartShunt still needs a connection to the positive pole of the battery and then measures the voltage of the battery and can communicate this to the Smart MPPT solar charge controller so that it adjusts its voltage precisely. However, the Orion TR only regulates its behavior according to the voltage method.

A BMS (smallBMS) could now switch off the discharging and charging of the battery separately as soon as the battery itself reports overvoltage or undervoltage. Two Smart BatteryProtects are then required, which are controlled by the BMS. A Smart BatteryProtect can also be switched on and off via BlueTooth.

I hope I could give you a few more ideas for your installation.

I'm looking forward to a new drawing.

greetings

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

You could also consider using one of the victron batteries with the built-in BMS (Lithium Superpack)

I am sure its a placeholder but find a better switch or isolater for the solar as a battery isolator is huge.

Depending on your use, consider whether you need mains at all. Can do most things without but if you spend a lot of time on hook up then its useful. I had some mains in mine that all came out when I refurbed it, have no use for it. All my laptop charging etc is from 12v and I have enough solar.

2 |3000

imthebatman avatar image
imthebatman answered ·

Thanks Ullrich and dasxy77 for the replies.

I think my preference is to stay off the beaten path as much as possible so maybe a mains connection is over complicating it. A Phoenix inverter and then maybe just carry a Blue smart charger on occasions when it may be needed could be an option. I liked the neatness of the combined inverter charger though. For me, the less thinking required when deciding to drive off into the sunset the better!

As for batteries with built-in BMS, I've just been thinking that through. By the time you add up all the extra components needed for something like the VE Bus BMS, like Ulrich has mentioned the cost starts to really add up, along with the complexity of the install and setup.

Would a battery with an internal BMS (Victron or other brand) and a Multiplus end up conflicting with each other when it comes to charging?

4 comments
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented ·

I do not think so. If the BMS switches off the battery, it doesn't matter what happens around it. If the voltages match, then everything will work out fine.

In your drawing is a Lynx distributor. There are also cheaper distributors with fuses. The display of a defective fuse only works with the Lynx distributor in connection with the Lynx Shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
imthebatman avatar image imthebatman Ulrich commented ·

Thanks again Ullrich. Good to know about the Lynx Distributor. I'd missed the need for the Lynx Shunt. Too expensive for this build. I've seen the Lynx Power In modified with just a few bolts to essentially do the same job. Space may allow me to go that route.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ulrich avatar image Ulrich imthebatman commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I'm running a Multi Compact and one Blue Solar MPPT with two Battle Born batteries. Everything works great. No conflicts at all.

I'm also working with a friend on a system with a Phoenix inverter, Smart Solar MPPT, Smart Shunt and one Battle Born battery based on my experience with my existing system.

I briefly looked into an upgrade to Victron batteries and a Lynx BMS but the cost discouraged me from making a change from a system that really isn't broken.

0 Likes 0 ·