question

Carlos Carvalho avatar image
Carlos Carvalho asked

RCD keeps tripping when on sustain ( ESS quattro 8000)

Have a couple of quattros with ESS Assistant. What it happens often is that when in sustain mode and receiving power from the mains the RCD trips quite often specially when using appliances as the washing machine, micro wave, dish washer.

The RCD is a Hager 2P 40A 300mA AC type.

Running latest firmware. screenshot-2021-05-09-22-14-28-45.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Carlos Carvalho answered ·

It tripped again when no appliances were working

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

this only happens when Mains power is restored after Multiplus shuts down due to low battery voltage and with mains pass through.

2 |3000

it occurs when the VE.Bus System Automatic monitoring Low battery: Alarm is active

2 |3000

tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

Type AC RCDs are prohibited in (AFAIK) all of Europe, because they don't respond well to imperfect sinus shapes. You could try replacing it with a type A RCD?

Or, it could be that your RCD is simply defective?

1 comment
2 |3000

Carlos Carvalho avatar image Carlos Carvalho commented ·

The RCDs are of type AC, two Hager CFC540A . Should be a type A instead for this type of installation ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Any thoughts?

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

That 300mA is a RCCB (and not a RCBO), correct?

On the circuits connected to AC Out do you have any RCDs? Normally you should have 30mA (and maybe 10mA). If you do have them, those trip or not when the AC In RCD trips?

Also is this a new install or an older one which did not have this issue until now?

2 comments
2 |3000

This is a new install and a RCCB used.

On the AC out there are extra RCCBs. Those are 30mA . The ones at the AC out are 300mA and trip, the others don't.

As I am using a transfer key once the RCD trips ( Hager CFC540A ) the key transfers to the grid and no RCCBs at the house installation trip. Only the ones at the AC out of the Quattros do.

For the AC1 out of the Quattros which type of RCCB should be used then ?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Carlos Carvalho commented ·
The ones at the AC out are 300mA and trip, the others don't.

Here you meant to say "the one at the AC In is 300mA and trips"?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Also, I think your ESS system is not configured optimally.

You should avoid entering the Sustain mode. That is a "safety mode", not something you want to happen frequently.

The ESS should be configured such as the Minimum SOC is reached first (and then the loads are entirely powered by the grid, but without the battery being charged from the grid), so that your system never enters Sustain mode.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for the feedback

0 Likes 0 ·
bkvanduk avatar image bkvanduk commented ·
Which settings should be changed to reach the minSOC before the the system enters sustain mode.

I have issues with Sustain mode. I try to reach 10% SoC, but sustain mode is entered around 12-13%. I tried to change the dynamic cut off and on another system I changed the sustain voltage settings. But it's still happening.

0 Likes 0 ·