question

kevin-lynchehaun avatar image
kevin-lynchehaun asked

Rename devices in Victron Connect

We have multiple BSC chargers and Lithium devices in the workshop

Is there a way to assign each a new name?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Connect to a device -> cogwheel (upper right corner) -> three dots (upper right corner) -> "Product info" -> there is an option to rename the device

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tjorven13 avatar image tjorven13 commented ·
I only have - Reset PIN there?
0 Likes 0 ·
darelldd avatar image
darelldd answered ·

Same as the other comment. The only thing that exists there for me is Reset PIN. I've heard "it is in the manual." I have heard "I've made a video about it." But I still have yet to find out how to rename my controller in Connect. I have more than one, so it would be nice to not have to remember which crazy number goes with which device.

1 comment
2 |3000

debaasje avatar image debaasje commented ·
First connect to the device

Click on the the cogs in the upper right corner

Click on the three dots in the upper right corner

Click product information

There you can change the name

1 Like 1 ·
ernstsl avatar image
ernstsl answered ·

At first I thought so too. But you have to connect to the device itself (not the list of devices), then the cogwheel, the three dots and “product information”. There you can alter the name

2 |3000

commy avatar image
commy answered ·

I have the same issue running the Desktop app.
Connecting to the device (not the list) pressing the cogwheel, then "Product Info" it shows the product name, serial and firmware. But no option to rename. Have a look at the screenshot maybe im blind - does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks

1699574752156.png

1699574752156.png (36.8 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
4 comments
2 |3000

commy avatar image commy commented ·

The video does not help at all - please read the details provided.
This is the Desktop App - NOT the Mobile App.
Additionally a screenshot has been provided that shows the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commy commented ·
What is the name of the app that you are using?

Did you try the method from the settings menu?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commy commented ·
@CoMMy

Might be an old Operating System you're using?? It works fine on Win10, VictronConnect v5.95.

0 Likes 0 ·
commy avatar image commy JohnC ♦ commented ·

This is a windows 7 build - but its updated fine to the latest version - here you can see the version. As the app is supported - i see no reason for this.

1699703472876.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1699703472876.png (27.9 KiB)
commy avatar image
commy answered ·

These devices that we have in the VictronConnect app are connected via the USB interface not over bluetooth - maybe this is a restriction of the app for these devices?
Can anyone from Victron confirm this?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @CoMMy

For some devices, the name cannot be stored in the device, but it is stored in the internal Bluetooth dongle when this is available. This means that the name is not accessible and can not be set when one is connected via VE.Direct. One such products is indeed the Bluesolar MPPT 100/15, just like all the other "small" VE.Direct MPPTs.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
commy avatar image commy Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Could a small change be done perhaps for the App to save aliases internally and match the serial number with the alias?

We have a PC controlling over a dozen of these over USB and every time we start the App the order is not predictable. In the old versions of the App it used to load the COM ports in order - now its random and we are having a hard time identifying each controller as we have to manually access each and every one to find the one we need.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources