question

eliott avatar image
eliott asked

Lynx smart BMS vs VE.BUS BMS clarifications

Hi!

Although the documentation for the new Lynx Smart BMS 500 is very elaborate, I have a few questions that were not completely clear. Please clarify.

- With the VE.BUS BMS there has to be a Digital Mult Control to adjust current. It was connected directly to the VE.Bus BMS. What is the case with the Smart BMS 500. Can the Venus device be used to adjust current? Does the system still need the DMC? In this case is it connected directly to the Multi?

- The documentation says: DVCC allows the Lynx Smart BMS to control Victron Energy inverter/charger. Does this mean that without DVCC the inverter is not shut down separately as with VE.BUS BMS, only the contactor is opened?

- How does the charge disconnect function work? Does the Smart BMS communicate via the Venus device with the VE.BUS system? Or simply it just opens the contactor and shuts even the loads off?

- How does the current sensing work (like Mains detector)?

- In the schematics in the documentation the Lynx distributor is used for connecting the batteries. Is it advisable to remove the manual main switch from the system completely?

The clarifications are highly appreciated.

eliott

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @eliott,

with the Lynx Smart BMS you don't need the DMC anymore. You can switch and control your Multi via your GX device. The Multi still connects to your GX device as it was with the VE.Bus BMS.

DVCC with the Lynx Smart BMS needs to be enabled. When enabled, all DVCC features are automatically controlled by the BMS. With that your Multi and MPPTs are controlled automatically as well.

Charge disconnect depends on devices (Inverter, Chargers etc.). If it's a Victron Multiplus and/or a Smart MPPT, then you don't need to do anything. The BMS will take care of them via the GX device. If they are non VE.Bus or VE.Direct, they can be controlled via ATC/ATD.

No need for the Mains detector anymore.

I think you should keep your main switch, just as a precaution.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gsymes avatar image gsymes commented ·
This has helped me also, thank you.

Only thing is, I've switched from lynx shunt, Ve. Bus BMS, and DMC, to having just a Lynx Smart BMS and DMC. Can I still use my DMC? It's just that it's already installed, and very convenient to use on our boat.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ gsymes commented ·
Hi @Gsymes,

I don't think that there's a limitation for the DMC working together with a Lynx Smart BMS.

There is a limitation when you have a VE.Bus BMS connected, but the Lynx Smart BMS is not VE.Bus.

0 Likes 0 ·