question

Jaxter avatar image
Jaxter asked

What is Venus OS? ...for beginners

I know that Venus OS is the program running behind the scenes on the GX devices, but I would like to be able to explain to my bus conversion customer what the full capability is. He will buy the CerboGX in about 2 hours if I can explain it well.... no pressure, ha, ha...

Is there a manual, or a statement that states the full intent or ultimate capability of the GX devices running Venus OS? I have configured several CCGX's so I know what the capabilities are, and I was really happy to see Victron integrating tank sensor inputs into GX devices, so I think I'll be able to install a lot of these in customers' systems... I just want to be able to explain the capabilities to them, so they know why they need a GX device.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

cerbo gxVenus OSinstallation
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

If you have already installed a few CCGX' you should know what Venus OS is and what you can do with it.

Explaining everything is to much to write it down here.

But it also depends on where it should be installed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaxter avatar image Jaxter Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you, Matthias. What Venus OS is and has an ambition to be is still not obvious to a newbie. Also, since the CCGX other inputs and outputs and communications channels have been added. This customer is an electrical engineer and wants to know EVERYTHING it (the CerboGX) can do! So, that's beyond what I know so far. Hopefully he buys it ;) and I'll learn by poking buttons in the config. menus.

I'm off to read the Cerbo GX manual quickly, since he'll be here in an hour!

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

I bought my cerbo/touch 50 last March and found out after I purchased that covid had put everything 3-4 months behind. The distributor was kind enough to lend me a Venus for the time period. I ran it wifi to an old android tablet for the summer. I just linked the browser to open to the remote console.

Work exceptional for the summer. Now I plan to use it as a second screen in the bedroom. I have utilized every option for the RV.

New tank sensors (KUS float style), Wired for portable generator start/stop. Half the fun of these systems is learning what they are capable of.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is a good introduction here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

Does that help you out?

1 comment
2 |3000

Jaxter avatar image Jaxter commented ·

Thank you. I have reviewed that document and have forwarded it to the customer, as well.

I'll read up in the Cerbo GX manual to see what I can find there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaxter avatar image
Jaxter answered ·

So, approaching this question as "what can the current version of the Venus OS do on today's shipping Cerbo GX hardware?" I just read the current manual - what a concept, eh?

To learn more about VE's concept for what Venus OS has ambitions to do, I found this YouTube video with Glen Morris hosting Guy Stewart of Victron to be very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwCgfEBusg

The customer is buying the Cerbo GX! so I'll get to learn more "hands on"-style. He's going to try it without the touch screen display and just use his smart phone for configuring (I still recommend he gets the display for convenience - what do you bet he gets it later, eh?)

2 |3000

Related Resources