question

pmikep avatar image
pmikep asked

Feature Request: Option to decline automatic "update" to VictronConnect

So, it's obvious that there are evil people in the world who hack computers. While VictronEnergy doesn't seem like it would be much of a target, I don't like that VictronConnect automatically updates itself without my Permission. Suppose, for example, that a hacker gets into VE's computers and uploads a malicious program or Ransomware? Then Malware would automatically download into thousands of users' computers.

I would like the option to decline an auto update. I my case, I would prefer an alert that an update exists and I will go to the VE site and download it myself. (Checking a hash, stored on a different server.)

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

You didn’t mention the platform you are using, but typically automatic updates on android and iPhone are set for all apps within the settings of your phone, and not the control of Victron.

So try looking up how to disable automatic app updates for your phone and disable them there, and then manually choose to update your apps when you want.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmikep avatar image pmikep commented ·

Thanks for the quick reply.

You're correct that I failed to mention my platform. In this case, it is Windows. (Although I think that one could have inferred this, since this "forced" update behavior is inherent in the Windows version of the VE Connect program.)

Now, it is true that, somewhat clever guy that I am, I can work around this "feature" by setting my firewall preferences to never let VictronConnect connect to the Internet. But I shouldn't have to be so clever. And many of your customers might not be so clever. (Or have personal firewalls on their Windows machines.)

So back to my original Request: I suggest that there be a Preference Setting in VE that says "Automatically Check for Updates?" And the options should be "1) Always update automatically, 2) Advise me when an update is available, but let me download it, 3) Never update VictronConnect.

This is much like Windows' Updates used to be in earlier versions of Windows. And like most web browsers today.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources