question

djingis avatar image
djingis asked

Unable to connect to Cerbo GX from Raymarine Axiom using the Victron App

When I try to connect to the Cerbo GX using the Victron app on the Raymarine Axiom MFD I get a connection error "no hardware found" and the application does not start.

The Cerbo GX is connected to the NMEA2000 network using a Victron VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable and the Raymarine Axiom MFD is connected to the same NMEA2000 network. The NMEA2000 network works fine and is properly terminated. Since the Axiom is connected to an Quantum 2 rader with cable the Axiom must connect to the Cerbo GX through the NMEA2000 network.

The NMEA network diagnostic screen on the Axion shows not only the Cerbo GX. But also all the devices connected to the Cerbo GX with VE.CAN, VE.Bus or VE.Direct. Attached is the NMEA2000 network diagnostics from the Axiom listing all the NMEA2000 devices as well as the Victron devices that the Axiom can find on the NMEA2000 network.

- The Raymarine Axiom is running the latest lighthouse operating system (v3.13.103 Edgartown)

- The NMEA2000 network is powered separately and the fuse in the VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable is removed

- The Raymarine Axiom can see the Cerbo GX on the NMEA2000 network (and all devices connected to the Cerbo GX, including tanks)

- The Cerbo GX and all connected Victron devices are all running the latest firmware

- All data from the Cerbo GX are visible on the NMEA2000 netowork and can be displayed in other ways such as webguages with yachtdevices wifi gateway

- On the Cerbo GX: one VE.Can port has a VE.Can terminator and the other VE.Can port is connected to the NMEA2000 network using the VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable

- The NMEA2000 network is a Raymarine SeaTalkNG network

- The VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable is connected to a SeaTalkNG<->NMEA2000 cable that is connected to a "white" device port on a Raymarine 5-way

Cerbo VE.Can port settings:
- CAN-bus profile: VE.Can & Lynx Ion BMS 250 kbit/s,
- NMEA2000-out: Enabled

NMEA2000 network diagnostic from Raymarine Axiom

Diagnostics_Network.json.zip

NMEA2000 network diagram

NMEA2000_network_(SeaTalkNG).png

cerbo gxNMEA 2000 - N2Kraymarine
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Djingis,

the MFD needs to be connected to the GX device using ethernet, which may require a RayNet adapter and possibly a Raymarine HS5 network switch.

It is not possible to run the App inside the Axiom by using the N2K connection.

See also: Raymarine MFD Integration

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djingis avatar image
djingis answered ·

Thanks @Stefanie

I messed up and only reviewed the chapter "Marine MFD integration by NMEA2000" in the Cerbo manual and the documentation that this chapter links to.

When I review the Raymarine MFD Integration it's pretty clear that NMEA2000 cannot be used for the Victron App on the Axiom MFD even if I have a GX device. I use the ethernet port on the Cerbo GX to connect to a router for Internet access (to avoid wifi signal issues) and the RayNet port on the Axiom to connect to a Quantum 2 radar. Ethernet is not really an option for me.

The drawbacks of adding a Raymarine network switch, Raynet adapters, use WiFi instead of ethernet to connect to internet on the Cerbo GX etc. is not worth the value the app on the Axiom MFD is adding. Would have been nice if I could have used NMEA2000 instead.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Djingis,

I basically have the same setup, Cerbo, Axiom, Quantum and a second MFD at the nav desk. Haven't tried this yet, but I think a simple powered network switch instead of the very expensive RayNet HS5 could work.

This would like this: Cerbo GX ethernet -> network switch -> Quantum and second MFD.

But I agree, it's probably not worth the hassle. Instead I use Signal K (see Venus OS Large image) on my Cerbo. Together with WilhelmSK (SK client) on my iOS/macOS devices, I get the same like what you'll get from the Victron app in the Axiom: Venus HTML5 app. And with very little effort I'm even able to mirror the iOS display directly onto the Axiom.

bildschirmfoto-2021-04-15-um-121554.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Kees Oomen avatar image Kees Oomen commented ·
@Stefanie How did you get the WilhelmSK screen on the Axiom Plotter?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kees Oomen avatar image Kees Oomen Kees Oomen commented ·
@Stefanie Thanks, I just did! Will let you know if I found out ;)
0 Likes 0 ·
djingis avatar image
djingis answered ·

Thanks @Stefanie

I have mainly been using yacht devices wifi gateway and the built in webguages and not started with signal k yet. Running signal k on cerbo gx using the venus os large image seems like an even better option!

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

Yeah. I have the ydwg-02 myself. But for other reasons. The web gauges are very limited while WilhelmSK (and Signal K) gives you ALL info/gauges you can think of.

It's definitely worth upgrading to the large image because it's options, especially with Node-RED are nearly unlimited.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources