question

nuno-gomes avatar image
nuno-gomes asked

Inverter connection

Hi Newbie here with limited knowledge so be gentle! I have just purchased a secondhand motor home with 2 leisure batteries and the VE BMV 700 battery monitor. I have a 1500w inverters already from my old motorhome and want to connect this to my new one. My old motorhome did not have a monitor (or shunt) so the connections were straight forward - batteries in parallel and inverter positive connected to battery 1 positive and inverter negative to battery 2 negative. How to I wire my inverter with the shunt and 2 batteries? As above or does one or two connection go to the shunt? I attach some photos.

Secondly I am not sure why the BMV 700 was used given there are 2 batteries. Am I right in saying that this can only provide info on the one?

img-7147.jpgtempimagevvhjpe.jpg

tempimagekye2pz.jpg

Phoenix Inverter
img-7147.jpg (2.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

For the shunt (BMV700) to work correctly the Inverter -ve should be connected to the -ve bus bar side of the shunt. there should be no connections on the battery side of the shunt other than the battery.

You say you have 1500W inverter looking at your picture it looks like the connection from the battery is only 16mm. What sort of load are you expecting on the inverter?

Rgds

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southsideph avatar image southsideph commented ·

Missed your last comment, if the batteries are connected in parallel then as far as the BMV is concerned they are a single 12V entity +ve to battery 1 and -ve to battery 2 is standard for 2 batteries in parallel.

0 Likes 0 ·