question

drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley asked

SmartShunt mounted on busbar?

Hi, just planning my install, can I mount a SmartShunt directly on a negative busbar (providing the battery negatives are on the correct side of the shunt on the busbar, and the load negatives on the opposite side). Are there copper contacts on the underneath of the shunt?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

No contacts on the bottom of the shunt but there are bolts on the top and side that you could connect to your bus bar.

I would recommend physical support at the battery end of the shunt when the load side is fastened to the bus bar.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drlbradley avatar image drlbradley commented ·

Thanks for answering. Much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @drlbradley,

yes that's possible. And I do it the same way, except that I use a Lynx Distributor/Power In busbar to connect the Shunt's load side.

Example:

img-4694.jpeg

img-4694.jpeg (3.4 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

I’ve got a Lynx coming also, I’ll use mine the same way!

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ drlbradley commented ·

I use a piece of compressed copper pipe (maybe 3 inches long) in between des busbar and the shunt to overcome the different hole sizes (busbar 8mm, shunt 10mm). Rocksolid connection. But you could also expand the busbar hole to 10mm and then connect the shunt directly to it. In that case the cover want fit any more without adjustments.

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

Just to add, the 500a Shunt only has top mounting, the larger shunts have side mounting, at least with the SmartShunt anyway, I think it's the same for BMV shunts, but the docs on your shunt will show your models layout.

I also mounted mine direct to the busbar, but had to make some spacers to make it work, my busbar is 25mm x 10mm copper bar I drilled and tapped for connections myself:

img-20210331-185205.jpg

Next time I would save the hassle and buy pre-made 'Earth / Neutral Bar' :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-way-earth-neutral-copper-bar/293046142244

But you may still need some appropriately sized cooper bar for the link.

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The shunt ends are a solid brass block, so if you are willing to modify your SmartShunt by removing the base and drilling out the mounting holes (which will likely void warranty), then you can very neatly mount it directly to a suitable bussbar setup, either upside down or in the normal orientation.

Just make sure that both ends are properly supported (check with a straight edge that the bussbars on either end are on the same plane).

Some inspirational images below...screenshot-20210401-214957-chrome.jpg

screenshot-20210401-215041-chrome.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

now I've got busbar envy!

0 Likes 0 ·