question

conklin avatar image
conklin asked

Smartshunt 500A flashing blue and red lights continuously

I installed our RV battery after winter storage. The Smartshunt 500A is flashing both blue and red led's simultaneously and continuously. Does anybody know what this indicates?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

The manual shows this:

5.7 LED status codes

The SmartShunt has two LEDs, a Bluetooth status LED (blue), and an error LED (red). These LEDs are both associated with the SmartShunt Bluetooth interface.

• On power-up, the blue LED will blink, and the red LED will quickly flash. The red LED will give a short flash to confirm that the red LED is functional.

• When the blue LED is blinking the SmartShunt is ready to be connected to VictronConnect.

• When the blue LED is stays on, the SmartShunt has successfully connected to VictronConnect via Bluetooth.

• When the blue and the red LEDs are alternating blinking the SmartShunt firmware is being updated.

It sounds like a firmware error, though you didn’t mention messing with that. You might also check the troubleshooting section of the manual, located here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-SmartShunt-EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

conklin avatar image
conklin answered ·

Thanks, rickp, for your response. I did see that manual section and the troubleshooting tips , but nothing that indicates an error associated with the led 's both flashing simultaneously and continuously.

When I do try to connect, the apps pops up the change pin, change device name, update firmware screen.

Firmware shows current, I tried changing pin, but when I try reconnecting, I get the same screen and no way to exit or bypass that screen.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

"Did you try to switch it off and on again?" :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
conklin avatar image
conklin answered ·

Update: I disconnected and reconnected the Smartshunt. Eventually, I did get flashing blue led and was able to connect and get a reading. Settings indicated that a firmware update was required and after a few tries, I was able to update the firmware. All is good now, thanks for the responses.

2 |3000

guenterc avatar image
guenterc answered ·

Hi.

I have exactly the same issue now.

When you say "disconnected", do you mean a complete removal or just the + cable?

Thanks,

Guenter

2 |3000

jddirk avatar image
jddirk answered ·

I have the same problem. Can no longer connect to the device and it is flashing blue and red LED continuously.

2 |3000

guenterc avatar image
guenterc answered ·

Finally I returned it to the seller - also it was out of the seller guaranty of 12 month - and I got a new one because of the Victron warranty. Took some weeks but it's solved.

2 |3000