question

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos asked

Screen reader support for blind VictronConnect users

Hi all

I'm a blind user, I use computers and phones with screen reading software.

I recently got a camping trailer with a Smart Solar MPPT controller installed, this is great since I can read all info via the VictronConnect app on my iPhone.

The VictronConnect app is however not completely accessible on the iPhone or the Mac, there are unlabelled buttons and fields etc. which makes it a bit difficult to use.

I want to please urge the VictronConnect developers to make your VictronConnect app especially on the iPhone but also the Mac more accessible to screen reader users.

I'm by no means a programmer, but from what I know, Apple provides excellent guide lines to app developers on exactly how to get their apps to be accessible with the Voiceover screen reader.

These apps is the only way for blind people to use these type of solar and electrical devices and Victron is already way ahead of the others in terms of accessibility, but there is still room for improvement.

Thank you

Nickus

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thank you for reporting this, I was not aware that it did not support those features.

I agree that it should and I have created a ticket for the software developers.

I also welcome any other suggestions you might have for how we could improve the products and make them more accessible for all customers.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nickus de Vos avatar image Nickus de Vos commented ·

Hi Guy

Reviving this one again. Since 2019 there has been great improvements to the accessibility of the iPhone app and even the apps on Windows and Mac.

Which would be the best way for me to bring tiny things to the atention of the developers which they can maybe add to their to-do lists for up coming releases?

Nickus

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Nickus de Vos commented ·
Hi @Nickus de Vos,

Very happy to hear it.

The best way would be to create a new post here on the community and make sure to use the VictronConnect topic tag at the bottom.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Thank you, as said I know zero about app development, but as long as your dev teams follow Apple's accessibility guide lines then it should be good. It's small things like labelling buttons and graphics, labelling headings etc which makes a huge difference.

Once you guys start to make changes I'll help with feedback, I'll even try out beta versions for you if it will help.

1 comment
2 |3000

There are some 40 issues in the development queue for VictronConnect. I have mentioned those specific points of labelling the buttons and headings and the intention of improving accessibility.

Information about the VictronConnect beta and change-log is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

Your post as also brought my attention to the lack of pathway for new iOS beta users since the Disqus shutdown. I will try and find a new way forward for applicants for beta testing VictronConnect as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Digging up this old topic again. @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

In the latest Victron Connect v5.20on the iPhone, as a blind Voiceover user, I can no longer select one of my devices like my Smart MPPT to monitor it. This basically makes the app useless to me and I have no idea what my devices are doing.

I once again want to please appeal to Victron to make your applications accessible to blind and low vision Voiceover users.

Your developers can follow this link for some pointers, Apple really makes it super easy for developers https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/accessibility/supporting_voiceover_in_your_app

Thank you

Nickus

2 |3000

branewmo avatar image
branewmo answered ·

Good morning @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager), I have a customer who recently upgraded his iphone from IOS 15 to IOS 16. VoiceOver with VictronConnect had worked great on IOS15, but VictronConnect does not seem to be supported by VoiceOver on IOS 16.

Customer has exhausted Apple Accessibility Support with no luck. Maybe just a note for the developers!

Thank you, Brandon

2 |3000

Related Resources