question

chezgals avatar image
chezgals asked

Smart bms cl 12/100 with non Victron lithium batteries

• I've connected my Smart BMS Cl 12/100 into my system with my non Victron lithiums, my non Victron bms is connected to the remote switch to stop overvoltage.

The starter battery is above the voltage needed but I'm still not getting any charge into the battery. I'm getting an alert saying that undervoltage protection is activated even though its registering the Lithiums and starter above the cut off limits?

Is this because I'm using a none victron battery and the 2 bms cable aren't connected?

If so is there a workaround?

I would have used the bms 12-200 but my alternators neg goes through the engine.

BMSalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

All Victron BMS are only designed to work with Victron batteries.
I don't think you can get it to work without a battery connected to the BMS connectors.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chezgals avatar image chezgals commented ·

I believe the bms 12/200 does as its used to regulate the output of the alternator.

What feed does the bms need from the victron battery to make it work? Is there a work around?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 chezgals commented ·

What Victron calls "BMS" is basically half of a BMS. The other half is inside their battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
chezgals avatar image chezgals seb71 commented ·

The 12/200 does not connect to the battery in this way but has a alternator control cable that has just 2 outputs.

screenshot-20210317-195655.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page