question

steve-bennett avatar image
steve-bennett asked

SmartShunt AUX connection location

I'd like to start using the AUX connection to monitor voltage of my van's starter battery, but want to clarify a couple of points.

Firstly, it's going to be a bit of a faff to run a cable from the shunt's aux port to the +terminal of the starter battery, in fact I'm not sure the supplied the cable would even reach, so my question is does it actually need to be a direct cable or can I simply connect it to the +in on my DC-DC charger which is only about 10cm from the SmartShunt? Yes there is voltage drop to think about but surely there'll be a lot less on the end of the 6mm feed to the DC-DC charger than using the supplied cable all the way back to the starter battery.

Secondly, as everything is already linked via the chassis, do I need to supply another negative from the starter battery to the shunt?

Cheers

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Measure (with a multimeter) the voltage of the battery and the voltage at the DC-DC charger.

Edit:
Initially I thought you use that DC-DC charger to charge the starter battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steve-bennett avatar image steve-bennett commented ·

Yeah I should have thought of sticking a multimeter at both points, doh.

I should have posted a diagram, it would have made things clearer.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·