question

Charles Buehler avatar image
Charles Buehler asked

DC Ripple error on Multi when charging from Fischer Panda Inverter generator

We have been using a Fischer Panda Neo 5000i inverter generator to charge a 600ah lithium battery using a 24/5000/120 Multiplus for two years. (Both the FP and Multi were purchased at same time) All of the sudden two days ago we started getting DC Ripple error (overload + low battery lights) and shutdown. We turned off all AC load and just ran charger but still happened. Then the generator and charger acted as if the current limiter was being dialled down (charge current fluctuated and dropped) until the charger stopped charging alltogether.

All other functions of the Multi work, and the generator works on the AC circuit through the Multi (large AC demand will activate and ramp up the generator) The only thing that does not work is the charger.

???

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Charles Buehler,

Have you read the Ripple chapter of Wiring Unlimited?

There is an explanation of what ripple is, and what troubleshooting steps to take to try and reduce it.

The easiest is probably to reduce the DC charge current setting and see at what point the ripple alarm stops, as that can be done in software without physical inspection. But ultimately a physical inspection is probably required because there could be point of resistance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Charles Buehler avatar image Charles Buehler commented ·

I did exactly that - first read up on it, then started checking connections. I found it on the second item I came to (first was the main fuse), one positive connection on the T handle main isolator switch was loose, and the switch itself seemes to be faulty. Bypassed it and all worked perfectly again!!

Thanks for the direction!

0 Likes 0 ·