question

darren-brown avatar image
darren-brown asked

Victron Blue smart 12/20 tripping RCD

Hi what is the 240V current draw for my Blue Smart 12/20 charger as it keeps tripping my RCD i think the RCD switch may be over the peak draw and hence the tripping but cannot find the information on data sheets?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

At 20A on a 12V battery that would be 240W. So, the current draw on the 240V side would approximate to about 1A.

However, I wouldn't think that current overload is the problem. If your RCD is just an RCD, then it doesn't respond to overload conditions, it responds to earth faults. RCBO's do both earth faults and overload faults.

It's tricky because there isn't really a way to tell what is causing the earth fault. It could be the charger it's self is faulty or there is a fault on the circuit that you are plugging into that only manifests its self when you plug the charger in.

If there is a different circuit that you can plug the charger in to test, then you can get an idea.

Is the battery that you are charging connected to anything else or is it just standing on its own with only this charge connected?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.