question

sorin-t avatar image
sorin-t asked

Charging current advice needed

Hello,

I have a BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 charger and 2 used car batteries (12V, 60Ah), Varta, no maintenance needed (sealed), which I want to put in series so I can have a 24V system.

I see in VictronConnect that I can set the charging current .. but what value should I put there to be safe?

I plan in using the batteries mostly as a buffer system (a 24V, 300W pump is running to move the water from a deep well to a water tank).

Thank you!

battery chargingcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Sorin T.,

rule of thumb is 10-20% of the batteries capacity. So that's 6-12A max. charge current. But when in doubt, ask the manufacturer of your batteries.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sorin-t avatar image sorin-t commented ·

Hi @Stefanie

So considering they are in series, they are about 24v @ 60Ah so still 6-12A max charge current.

If I am to add another string of 2 batteries, this one in parallel with the other .. can I go to around 12-24A max charge? Right?

Thank you

PS: My panels are .. around 78V @ 20A max ratings (4 panels split in 2 strings of 2 x 2 (in parallel and series))

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sorin-t commented ·

Yes, exactly. Once in parallel, the capacity doubles and you can charge at higher current ratings.

0 Likes 0 ·
sorin-t avatar image sorin-t Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic