question

adriano avatar image
adriano asked

Atlas combi with semi-traction batteries

Initially, I want to switch from SLA batteries to LifePO4 ...

Then, after some time and a lot of time spent in blog, navigating, books etc and, after the consciousness that : IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH ... YOU NEED TO CHANGE EVERY THING CORRELATED TO CHARGE (ALTERNATOR, ALTERNATOR REGULATOR, 220 CHARGER, etc.) ... I stay with LEAD batteries !!

But .. but .. if I want to optimize ... I can try the semi-traction batteries (6 volt) that can solve substantially the problem of cost and optimizing the Ah I need.

Here the question : my optimum Victron Atlas Combi 12/1500 (50 Ah max.) may be adjusted to charge a service bank with n.2 semitraction 6volt batteries (in series) of about 250 Ah cadauna (tot. 250 Ah at 12 volt) ?

Thanks,

Adriano

battery charginglead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Sure, I think it is a big change to go to Lithium. If there is nothing wrong with the Atlas, then maybe it will be best to stay with lead. In a few years time you can think about it again.

It's difficult to say for sure if the semi-traction batteries will be OK without checking their specifications. Your Atlas Combi is going to Bulk @ 14.25V and Float @ 13.5V. 50A charge might need to be adjusted to a lower level for 250Ah bank. The charge Voltages can be adjusted for different lead-type batteries, but you need to be comfortable with going inside the Atlas and adjusting potentiometers. The manual explains how to do this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adriano avatar image
adriano answered ·

Yes ... I read about adjusting potentiometers R2 and R4 ... first start with R2 (the left ones) for float ... than R4 (farthest left) for bulk (equalize ?!?).

But : is it so simple ?

Is there any video or other specific documentation ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic