question

e-box avatar image
e-box asked

bidirectional charging with 2 buck-boost

Hi,

the buck-boosts recently got a nice feature: Dual mode (Master/Slave) - see the configuration programm "TSConfig".

As far as I understand the short explanations given in the program, this feature should allow bidirectional charging between the starter battery and a service battery. One buck-boost has to be configured as Master and a second one as Slave.

When the Master is working, it forces the Slave to turn off by a HIGH signal on Pin1 (violet wire). When the Master is not active, Pin1 becomes LOW, thus the Slave is allowed to start working...

I tried to realize this: The Master is working fine (when it starts Pin1 becomes HIGH and when it stops working Pin1 becomes LOW).

But the Slave never starts working! (signal on Pin1 is LOW and delay time (setting 61) is set to 0.)

Has anyone of you already realized bidirectional charging with Dual Mode succesfully?

battery chargingOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

SLAVE Converter function goes as follows.

The charging is done with setting 27 and 28 of the config program. The slave converter will switch OFF when the charger current falls below setting 28, and the voltage above setting 27 raises.

The slave converter will engage if the output voltage drops below the minimal level as set at 27

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

irwinr avatar image irwinr commented ·

If only there were a 12 / 48v version of this product for those of us with 48v inverter batteries and 12v engine starting batteries. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
e-box avatar image
e-box answered ·

Thanks a lot for these infos! It works.

The only thing in the diagram that does not fit is the connection of PIN1 (purple wire) to battery+ (Contact Plus 15) - thus Pin1 will always stays HIGH.

2 |3000

Robert avatar image
Robert answered ·

Hello, very good idea. How you connect this system with an BMS?

2 |3000

Robert avatar image
Robert answered ·

Hello again, I ask because I need a solution for my Truck with two Batterybanks.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/183961/connection-of-two-battery-systems-with-bms-differe.html

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic