question

Simon Phillips avatar image
Simon Phillips asked

Charging Starter and Bow thrust battery from Leisure battery system what size Orion Tr

Hi All , I am living off Grid on a Narrowboat and have a big solar system that supplies pretty much all my power needs 95% of the year and I have back up Gen for the rest . I dont therefore Run my Engine much so except We do move the boat every 2 weeks briefly for service . This means the Starter and Bow thrust batteries get used a little but dont get a proper recharge so are sitting in PSOC most of the time sulphating . I would like therefore to syphon some power from my Solar system ( I have plenty to spare ) into the starter and bow thruster batteries until they are topped off . Currently they are Sealed LA batteries but when replaced will prob be AGM so I dont want to overcharge them . Is Orion Tr good for this ? and if so what size is best for 2 x 100Ah Sealed LA or AGM batteries , they wont be high DOD so prob dont need a very high current . Also what is difference between Isolated and non Isolated and which is best for this application ?

In addition what does the smart bluetooth tell me ? will it tell me SOC of the starter and thruster battery or will I need a Smart Shunt for that ?

Sorry for all the Questions

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smartstarter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers