question

leon-bezuidenhout avatar image
leon-bezuidenhout asked

Victron Orion-Tr Smart 24/12 for 12V input

Hi. A supplier near me only has stock of the 24/12-30A Orion-Tr Smart and not the 12/12-30A. I am wanting to charge a 12V LifePo4 battery in a trailer from the vehicle, which is 12V. Can I buy the 24/12 -30A DC-DC converter and use it with only a 12V input?

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leon-bezuidenhout avatar image leon-bezuidenhout commented ·

Sorry, question should be "Can I buy the 24/12-30A DC-DC CHARGER (not converter) and use it with only a 12V input?" Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Leon Bezuidenhout

You mean this one? https://www.victronenergy.com.au/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-chargers-isolated-250-400W-EN.pdf

If you look at the specs you'll see 14.0V listed as Undervoltage shut down. Which is probably too high for you.

Order in the one you really want/need.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leon-bezuidenhout avatar image leon-bezuidenhout commented ·

Yes, that's the one I'm interested in. I thought maybe that the undervoltage shutdown would be adjustable in the app and hence I could set it to match that of the 12V unit. Appreciate your suggestion thanks, just didn't want to wait for stock to have to come in.

0 Likes 0 ·