question

renejk avatar image
renejk asked

ve.bus BMS & REC BMS , multiplus + cerbo etc

I am trying to find info on how the Victron ve.bus BMS works

Does the ve.bus BMS only works on data / commands received from the smart lithium batteries to operate (for example) the battery protect & li-charge relay , or does it also accept data / commands through the ve.bus ?

I am trying to ascertain whether or not I can just plug the REC BMS into the ve.can input on the Cerbo and then the ve.bus BMS (connected to the Cerbo) will operate in the same manner as if the data from the m8 circular connectors is present (ie battery protect & li-charge relay work)
or is the ve.bus BMS dependent on input from the batteries ? (and not from the cerbo)

I know I can just connect the battery protect & li-charge relay to the REC but I am wondering if I have to and how the ve.bus BMS actually operates and from what kind of data / commands

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

if you are refering to the REC BMS's can connection then as far as I know this plugs directly into the canbus as a spur the canbus back bone normally has to be powered and there has to be a 120 ohm terminator resistor at end of the bus and a VE-BMS unit is not required.

or are you refering to the victron VE-BMS then the Rec bms is connected to the plugs on the bottom of the unit, if so it works only on the VE-BUS network (it must not be connected to the CAN BUS)

1. It signals the multi/quattro to stop inverting if it gets low cell voltage signal from the BMS being used

2 It tells the multi/quattro to stop charging if it gets high cell voltage signal from the BMS being used

on the bottom of the VE-BMS unit there are two plugs one male one female. these are just 3 looped circuits (ie closed circuit, there are 3 wires in the loop one blue one brown one black

As a example

Brown loop is closed the cells are ok and then if BMS opens the circuit as a cell voltage drops below set figure it signals the Multi/Quattro to stop inverting

BLUE loop is closed the cells are ok and then if the BMS opens the circuit as a cell voltage goes over the set figure it signals the multi/Quattro to stop Charging

Black is opened by the bms if the temp goes low or high it signals the multi/Quattro to stop inverting and charging

so this loop wire is TOTALLY controlled by the bms you are using and then the BMS cell units themselves report to the BMS you are using . normally all 3 loops are closed if any one of them open then the required trigger caused the VE BMS unit to send the signal to the multi./quattro to respond accordingly.

NOTE Brown and Blue colours maybe reversed as to what they do in the example above so test first.

hope the above makes sense.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miklosbakos avatar image
miklosbakos answered ·

I'm not sure that those 3x looped signals are steady ones, some manual refer to it "as communication".
Is there anyone who can confirm that?

2 |3000