question

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh asked

VRM: What should hide me exact location do (and how quickly)?

I checked the online VRM documentation but could not find the answers.

Is "Hide my exact location" related to VRM world only or does it make a change to the shared site "Advanced" information screen?

What change should make to the appearance of the location map?

At the moment in the shared site it does not seem to make any difference if my settings are like this:

screenshot-2021-02-04-at-110400.png

Here is what I see right now.

Do I need to wait and how long before the appearance of the map changes?

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi, since the new VRM shows the exact location, and I have not found a way to disable it, I have decided to stop sharing my data. For security reasons, I consider the information too sensitive to be displayed with such accuracy,

I hope Victron will offer a way to just disable the precise location / replace it with one of our choice.

Michel.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ray-mont avatar image ray-mont commented ·

@MichelG

After reading this

I also stopped sharing my data

ray

0 Likes 0 ·
Teun Lassche avatar image
Teun Lassche answered ·

Hi @MichelG @LaurenceH @Ray_mont,

If you toggle the hide exact location setting, it will show a location block when opening the share link, however, the place shown in the share link is not the exact location, the numbers are obfuscated, they are in the same area but should never be on your exact location. Just checked and that should be working. Please note that if you are logged in, click a share link and have access on that installation already you will see the exact location.

You can easily verify that your location is obfuscated when you open the share link in an incognito window

2 comments
2 |3000

michelg avatar image michelg commented ·

Hi Teun, thanks for your reply. In my case, I decided to give a position being 200Km away from the real one, but now, the location shown is way too much precise, (you know the new small area shown on OpenStreetMap below "Weather"). It would be fine IF it keeps showing up the position we gave in our settings.

Thanks.

Michel.

PS: this is related to thefts that are occuring.

0 Likes 0 ·
laurenceh avatar image laurenceh commented ·

I guess it comes down to what is an inexact location? My application is a narrow boat so "Not exact" probably means about within 1 hours cruising away (4 miles).

Whereas if you are cruising the Caribbean an inexact location is probably which Island are you on. Currently the radius seems to be around 20miles away.

Perhaps it needs a user option (share position to within XX miles) to cater for different use cases.

However The problem is the "advanced" TAB (visible from the share). I have not worked out how to have an advanced TAB for the share that is different for authenticated users.

The use case is our boat, where owners who can log in should be able to see more data (and where the boat is), whereas public visitor to a Boat website should only have general information.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic