question

alan avatar image
alan asked

Quattro/Multi Temperature Derating/Overheating behaviour in AC coupled mode

Just asking for some confirmation of what I believe I am seeing here,
1612155563475.png

This data is showing the quattro temp derating in AC coupled mode correct? The stepping of the AC output frequency and corresponding PV inverter yield coincides with the temperature warnings. The co-located MPPT yield is not throttled, the batteries are at ~65% (LA) and are in absorption, however the throttling is seeing the voltage not holding.

To me the device looks like its heat saturated, The PV Inverter reductions are too symmetrical and correspond with the temp warnings to be clouds.

It would be great if there was an indication the unit was derating or a internal temp sensor to verify.

EDIT

So have a little more info from the site, the fans in the unit are slowly winding up then try to go to full speed and shutoff, this happens at exactly the same time the unit derates.

This leads me to believe that the power bus that runs the fans is exceeding its current and shutting down. Maybe by a self resetting fuse?

This unit runs a small island so sending the unit away will have problems.

It is possible for victron staff to look at any more internal data via the console to possibly determine the issue?

@mvader (Victron Energy) @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerAC PV Couplingtemperature
1612155563475.png (229.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image David commented ·

I have a Multiplus II 48v 5000VA and I believe its derating its output (charging) when getting to temp.. I see it charge in the morning at 70a and starts to derate slowly almost immediately (at least I think that's what its doing). I don't have temperature warnings in the VEBus warnings and alarms graph thou.

I agree it would be nice to know if and when derating is occurring. It could help with assessing the performance of fans/ducting etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan commented ·

1614750684972.png

Another screenshot showing the issue

0 Likes 0 ·
1614750684972.png (90.8 KiB)
0 Answers