question

bartpoot avatar image
bartpoot asked

Orion Smart Tr DC DC charger and blue smart charger in parallel?

Hello,

I have 2 ways to charge my leisure battery, one via shore power and one via the car batt.

Can i connect both chargers in parallel to the leisure battery? Should i install a relay to make sure the not-operating charger is isolated from the circuit?

Can i consider the orion smart dc dc charger as an isolator between the car and leisure battery? Or should i put a physical relay/isolator as well?

If i use the ’engine running detection’ can i consider the car battery isolated from the leisure battery when the engine is off? Or is this too much trust in the system?

Orion Smart-TR 24/12 30 DC-DC charger (non isolated)

Blue Smart IP67

Thanks for the help

chargerorion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smartdc isolators in parralell system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

"Can i connect both chargers in parallel to the leisure battery?"

I do. If both are programmed properly for the battery type, they'll both adjust their charging profiles based on the leisure battery's voltage. No concerns about feedback into either device.

"Can i consider the orion smart dc dc charger as an isolator between the car and leisure battery?"

Yes. The DC charger is a one-way charging device and one of its functions is to isolate the starter battery from the leisure battery.

"If i use the ’engine running detection’ can i consider the car battery isolated from the leisure battery when the engine is off?"

I believe you mean "Engine Shutdown Detection". If that function is programmed correctly, the charger will turn off when voltage drops (when you turn the car off) and won't turn back on until you turn the car back on. Then yes, your starter battery and leisure battery will be isolated from each other so that you don't deplete your starter battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There's a very small standby current once shutdown is detected. Manual says under 1mA.
0 Likes 0 ·