question

tvenator avatar image
tvenator asked

SmartSolar VictronConnect software process

Bought new smartsolar 100/15 controller. Loaded VictronConnect. Didn't find device over 4 devices and many power cycles of controller and software reloads. The next day my dealer came over with his iPhone. Same story. Then controller was found on one of the previous devices, went through to successful firmware upgrade but no blue screen and only product page mirror when clicking on device. Same story on 5 iOS devices. Eight HOURS later got a different result. Flashed a blue screen and then went to firmware update for the second time and loaded 1.37. After that I get blue screen with real time data. It took two days and many hours of debugging and research for nothing. I am very concerned about the reliability of the controller and connection process with VictronConnect. This is a marine application where reliability is a requirement. PLEASE HELP ME understand the SOFTWARE LOAD process enough to trust this device. Is there a Victron software guy out there that can help?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is a list of troubleshooting steps, and common connection tips (eg, enable bluetooth, connect through the app, not the settings, etc) in the Manual.

iOS devices are typically very reliable and consistent, so it sounds like there might be some fault with the unit.

Please take it back to your supplier and ask for them to test it and if it shows any issues at all, ask for a replacement. With the replacement have them show it connects with you in the shop with your device.

That should take of it. Sorry about the lost time.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tvenator avatar image
tvenator answered ·

I followed all instructions in the manuals. My supplier, Gibyachts in Gibraltar, ordered this part for me, has no test facilities, nor another replacement unit. Seems unreasonable for a shop to have a MPPT bench test setup. Besides that could look a lot like my solar panels. Unit ran all day but did not show any data in archive. I turned the load to always off and it the setup button showed only the battery option at night.

I would appreciate some service from Victron, which to date has been limited to this fairly generic response. In many cases these are just "index card" responses to key word searches. Nice way to save money but not at all efficient for your final customer. i bought this unit because I felt Victron made parts I could trust. After purchase, and these problems, I find myself very disappointed.

Time for some Factory-level service instead of an unofficial response. If the factory can send me a replacement I wil be glad to send my current box back.

2 |3000

Related Resources