question

eyub avatar image
eyub asked

How can I view Victron lithium battery temp on VRM

hello guys,

I am now facing the problem of charging the LITHIUM batteries below 5 celsius on one of our rural sites, so my question is that:

how can we view the battery cell temperature online using the VRM or any other method? so not to be forced to go to the site and check it locally using the VICTRONCONNECT app

Lithium Batterytemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @eyub again :)

in case you have a Victron SmartLithium, unfortunately there is no other way to see cell temperature.

What you can do is attach Temperature sensor to your BMV, or GX device, to the housing. The temperature then will show up on VRM. Of course, this is not cell temperature, but with a bit of try and error (monitor cell temperature and compare o housing temperature) this comes very close. This is how I do it.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eyub avatar image eyub commented ·

dear @Stefanie you are being very helpful thanks a lot,

it's totally clear i will try to take into consideration your suggestion, actually those batteries we installed them outdoor for test so we will place them inside the house and the issue will be fixed

thansk

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ eyub commented ·

You're welcome :)

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp commented ·
in case you have a Victron SmartLithium, unfortunately there is no other way to see cell temperature.

If you only want to see battery temperature, you can use temperature sensor included with MP-II unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
songbird55 avatar image songbird55 commented ·
I do have the Victron SmartLithium. Is there a way to see the temp in the VRM?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ songbird55 commented ·
Hi @songbird55,

as described above there is no way to see the SmartLithium internal temperature on VRM.

The workaround is: get a GX device (which reports to VRM), attach an external temperature sensor to it and the SmartLithium.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

I have three MP-II 48/3000 set up into 3 phase system and it is connected to LFP battery.

Temperature sensor was included with each MP-II unit.

If you connect those temperature sensors to MP-IIs and attache sensor to the battery, you will see its reading on the VRM.

MP-II cannot use it to stop charging LFP battery below 5C but you will see battery temperature on the VRM panel.

screen-shot-2021-01-19-at-114249-am.png

Above the VRM panel showing battery temperatura.

I have a heating element under the battery and battery temperature is much highier that -16C outside the shed.

4 comments
2 |3000

eyub avatar image eyub commented ·

thanks that would be useful I think the sensor you are talking about is this

temp-sensor.jpgbtw can you tell me how you mount the sensor to the battery is there a photo that you can share? and is it showing the ambient temperature of the battery surrounding or the cell temperature?

0 Likes 0 ·
temp-sensor.jpg (3.5 KiB)
marekp avatar image marekp eyub commented ·

Hi,

Yes, it looks like the one I got with each MP-II.

It can be attached to the battery terminal. (metal tab is isolated)

In my case the battery terminal is M12 so the hole in the sensor is to small.

I inserted sensors in between the cells.

Since I have 3 of them, I inserted one on each end and one in the middle of the battery stack. AFIK the VRM is showing the lowest temperature if there is more than one sensor.

sensor-1.jpg

sensor-2.jpg

Regards,

Marek

0 Likes 0 ·
sensor-1.jpg (103.0 KiB)
sensor-2.jpg (57.5 KiB)
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekp commented ·

Looks good. Thumbs up.

Cheers S.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ marekp commented ·
@eyub

If you mount it the normal way, it must go on the negative terminal. The other ends connect to the pcb in the multiplus, they're marked, can't remember what the marking is.

As the sensor is in the heartstrings, the temp is somewhere between air and battery terminal.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic