question

Ben Johnson avatar image
Ben Johnson asked

Band new Bmv-712 not showing temp correctly.

Hello Victron Community

I have a problem,.. I’ve been searching through the VC forum for the last couple of days and can’t figure out how to get the temp on my BMV712 I just bought. the temp censor wires that come with it just don’t seem to be working at all.

I’ve connected the cables with the temp censor on to the positive terminal and im now getting a read out of -1 degrees c. I’ve changed the misc setting to. Aux/temp and still no change. I’ve got a lifepo4 system and don’t want to change my battery with the terminal temp registering that so I got my wife’s dyson Hair-dyer our and heated the terminals where the censor is on the possible side to see if the temperature will read but no luck. I’ve changed the fuses over to 1a blade fuse, as some other people advised on this forum. Some others on here say I need to buy the smart battery sense but seems pointless when it’s part of its basic function.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Cheers

BMV Battery MonitorLithium BatteryTemperature Sensortemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

to add to Mark's comment. As I understand it the BMV temperature sensor is a different hardware device than other Victron 'temperature sensors'. Ensure that you get the BMV one. Part no. ASS000100000 I believe. Please check this before purchasing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

Have you changed the auxilliary input to temperature sensor? See section 1.2 of the manual.

2 |3000

Ben Johnson avatar image
Ben Johnson answered ·

@_OS_ here are the attached screen shots

Any other suggestions would be great

C190351F-9279-45D4-A7FB-ECAD44B4B9BC.pngC96C753D-9734-498E-87A3-988CAA4901F0.png

4 comments
2 |3000

jdlloyd24 avatar image jdlloyd24 commented ·

I just had my 712 installed the other day on 2 12v lifeline AGM batteries, and I’m getting the exact same reading, -1C or 30.2F. It’s hooked up correctly, so I’m not sure what’s going on here?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ jdlloyd24 commented ·

What temperature sensor PN did you buy - is it the correct one for the BMV (ASS000100000)?

There are 2 types...

If it is the correct PN then most probaby it's faulty.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn jdlloyd24 commented ·

The temp sensor that comes with the Multi or the Quattro can not be used for the BMV. There is one special only for the BMV, what you need to buy as an option.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdlloyd24 avatar image jdlloyd24 Rob Fijn commented ·

Thanks guys, and yes, I have that part #. I got the bundle on amazon which included the ASS000100000

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

You mentioned that the temperature sensor "comes with" the BMV - this is incorrect. It is an accessory that is puchased separately.

Once you have the sensor then you don't use any of the original wires that come with it. It doubles as temperature & voltage.

To confirm what you have please take a photo of what you have & how you have wired it.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Somewhere in the documentation is suggests if a battery has an internal BMS, which I suspect your LiFePO4 may have being Lithium, a BMS is not needed and the combination can result in erroneous reading. My BMV remains therefore disconnected. Not sure about your complete config and whether you also have GX,

2 |3000

jcee-bull avatar image
jcee-bull answered ·

I have the victron battery sense which is sending battery voltage and temp to my other my victron gear (240v batt charger, solar controller x 2) on the network I created. However the BMV712 is not getting a temp reading the same as the problem above, what is the solution ??

2 |3000

Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Here a picture of the two different one.

The Multi temp sensor also works on the Cerbo GX !

Regards, Rob

1595814518315.png (146.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic