question

christian-gruhn avatar image
christian-gruhn asked

Phoenix Compact 12/2000 parallel operation

Hello Victron team,

I have 2 solar systems each with a Victron Energy Phoenix Compact 12/2000. These models can be switched in parallel according to the data sheet. The two inverters are about 30 meters apart. The parameterization as parallel operation, a firmware update, the RJ45 cabling and the cabling of the AC outputs have been made. As described in the manual. Unfortunately, the two devices are always in alarm. In single mode, these run without problems.

My questions would be whether the problem is the separate battery packs? That the inverters only run in parallel if they are connected to one and the same battery pack?

Thanks for your support!

Christian

battery chargingPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I really think that is the problem, I have not heard of this kind of parallel configuration with two different battery banks. I suspect that when in parallel then they are expecting to see the exact same battery Voltage.
Even when running from the same battery bank, the battery cables need to be identical size and length.
Even more with parallel configuration, rules about symetry are quite strict so that there is a balance of current over the pair (or however many are teamed in parallel). This also includes the AC cables, they are supposed to be the same size and length until the point where they join.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christian-gruhn avatar image
christian-gruhn answered ·

Thank you for your answer! I have found the solution by now.

I have configured the two Compact 12/2000 again for parallel operation, as before. Then I connected the two different battery packs. Apparently, the two devices balance the battery level. The capacity is displayed relatively equal to the solar charge controllers of the two battery packs. The solar charge controller siHier once again the structure:

1. solar island

- 3 KW solar panels

- 880 Ah battery

2. Solar island

- 1.2 KW solar panels

- 440 Ah battery

The distance between the islands is about 20- 25 meters....

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic