question

gumpi avatar image
gumpi asked

Smart BMS CL 12/100 power supply

The remote on-switch maintains the 12V-12V function. But how is the BMS function supplied with power? And how much power does the BMS function consume?

I am afraid that the power supply for the BMS will be interrupted by mistake.

Many thanks for the help

Gabriel

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The power supply is coming from the "alternator/starter bat." connection.
Without a battery connected there the BMS is off.

The power consumption is in the datasheet:
1610359990858.png

1610359990858.png (23.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthias-hafner avatar image matthias-hafner commented ·

I think this important detail should be included in the manual.

I was considering to wire the Smart BMS CL alternator side after the engine battery switch. Now I understand the engine battery switch would shut the whole system off in that case.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gary Pacey avatar image Gary Pacey commented ·
I'm not sure that I like having the BMS powered from the vehicle starter battery. Is there any particular reason that power was not sourced from the lithium battery as it is in other Victron BMS systems?
0 Likes 0 ·
gumpi avatar image
gumpi answered ·

thank you Mattias for your help. Is my assumption correct that if the BMS function is no longer powered and all loads are disconnected from the smart lithium battery (smart Battery Protect), the lithium battery has no consumption? I have not planned to connect the starter battery to the solar cell, which means I cannot guarantee the power supply over the winter. Would it make sense to disconnect the whole system including the BMS from the power supply to protect the battery?

Last question: The Cerbo GX is connected to the VE.Bus BMS if available. Where do I connect the Cerbo GX with a Smart CL BMS 100 in the system?

2 |3000