question

noah-garvin avatar image
noah-garvin asked

I have the Multiplus, VE.Bus Smart Dongle, and Digital Multi Control, where do I get the RJ45 cable that goes into the smart dongle?

I'm finishing up my build with Victron Orion-Tr, Charge controller, Multiplus Inverter, Digital Multi Control GX, 2x 100ah Battleborns, Lynx Distributor, and VE.Bus Smart Dongle. Everything is plugged in, except the smart dongle. When I watch videos of installation, they always have an RJ45 plugged into the back of the smart dongle, but mine didn't come with one. Did I lose a cable or something?

I plugged the temperature sensor in the B+ and B- on the front of the dongle, but the back has a space for the RJ45 which I don't have. I'm using one for my BMV-712 and my DMC GX but I don't have any others to use for the dongle.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

From the manual:

"Connect the dongle to the Multi's Ve.Bus interface, using a standard RJ45 UTP cable".

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

noah-garvin avatar image noah-garvin commented ·

So do I have to buy another cable just to use the smart dongle? That seems kind of odd for something that requires so few cables. I saw that and assumed it meant an RJ45 that came with the dongle but I guess not. You'd think they would include it!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Noah Garvin,

Apologies that this wasn't clear, I have just updated the manual to include the following paragraph:

Note the standard UTP RJ45 cable that is required to connect the VE.Bus Smart Dongle to the Multi's VE.Bus interface is not included. You can use an existing network cable, or buy one separately from Victron in the length that you require for that specific installation.

Yes, you will need to get another cable (if you don't already have one). They are very common around the world, and in many peoples houses already because they are the same cable used for all internet/ethernet connections.

Aside from adding bulk and cost to the packaging an issue with including one is that there is no way to know what length would be required in any specific installation. As these cables are so easy to get everywhere in the specific length that you need, and also available to buy separately from Victron if required, they are not included.

Again, apologies though because this was not obvious in the manual - now it is :)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic