question

mahdi avatar image
mahdi asked

Can I connect all my charge sources to the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A?

I'm in the planning stage of a Victron lifepo4 install on my boat. I will have 2 battery banks (starter and lifepo4 leisure) and 2 alternators.

My plan is to connect both alternators to the starter battery and then to the alternator/starter input on the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A.

I'm also considering connecting the solar to the starter battery so both banks get charged.

I intend to use the BMV-712 smart to turn off the charge sources at (for instance) 14.2V. This way I can have the solar charge the FLA starter battery at a proper voltage and the BMS will regulate the charge to the lithium bank.

My question is; is there any reason I shouldn't do any of this?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Mahdi, the connection on the starter batteries and leisure batteries will be parallel. It seems to me that they will discharge one into each other, and that's not what you are looking for.

I may be wrong, but I will separate both circuits, to avoid such situation.

Michel

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mahdi avatar image mahdi commented ·

Hello michelg,

Thanks for the reply.

Re-reading my post, I see I have explained my plans poorly. The leisure bank will be the Lifepo4 batteries, so the banks will only be connected through the BMS. I have edited my post slightly to show this (hopefully) more clearly.

0 Likes 0 ·