question

kurtinge avatar image
kurtinge asked

Smartsolar not showing up in venus or vrm anymore

Hi!
I have the Venus Pi, Smart Shunt 500 and the Smartsolar MPPT 100/30. All updated to the latest firmware and connected with the Ve. Connect USB cable.

When I plugged the solar into the Venus I could see it. Later on it has disappered. I think it happened after reBoot or firmware update. The MPPT has not the solarpanels connected yet, but is connected in the battery side.

The Smart Shunt is working correct

Any clue?

VRMRaspberry Pimodifications
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@kurtinge

With our pi set up, we found sometimes the usb was a little loose and lost connection.

Sometimes plugging it into a different port or power cycling the mppt helped.

0 Likes 0 ·
kurtinge avatar image kurtinge Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Tried all - reboot of the MPPT, changed the USB-port, changed the cable and reboot of the Pi (don't know, but it was maybe after that the MPPT disappeared).

I will investigate more later on. I guess dmesg inside the OS should notice me if there is contact at all

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
kurtinge avatar image
kurtinge answered ·

The problem was caused of a defect cable :-(

Problem solved now with a new cable

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shicks3 avatar image
shicks3 answered ·

I had same problem for a bit. Until I realized my VE.direct cable had come out of the solar controller just a *little* bit. Sigh. Solved.

2 |3000

w8dev avatar image
w8dev answered ·

I’m having the same issue with one of my smartsolar chargers. It seems I’m having to reboot my Pi once a day ever since I upgraded to v2.87. I checked the connections on the charger as well as changing the USB port on the pi. I guess I’ll try getting another cable unless someone has any other ideas.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.