question

vincent avatar image
vincent asked

Multis, Switch as group, split phase, killing generator

I have two multiplus 3kw 120V running as a 120/240V pair. I have an ATS on the input of the first multi switching L1 between a 120V source and a 120/240V generator. L2 from the gen goes straight to the second multi.

I have done this before without issues but this one is giving me a hard time. The customer has 240V loads, and the 7kW Honda generator suitable for the task. Often the generator can't be used and there is only a 120V source. The first multi passes through the shore and charges while the second creates the other phase.

To do this I uncheck "switch as group" in the system config. It works, and operates as expected on the single 120V input. The issue is it won't reliably switch to the generator, and when it does, it is eager to switch back to invert. Sometimes when it tries to switch, the generator triggers an overload, with only about 25% load.

If I turn on "switch as group", almost the moment I press send it switches to generator and I can pull full amps. Obviously though, with switch as group enabled, I can't make use of the shore power (because it needs to see the other phase).

I suppose this could be due to the delay in the ats. The generator applies it's L2 to multi 2, at the same time it applies it to the ats. multi 2 switches to gen before the ats has picked up L1, so load is applied to only one phase of the generator.

Any advice?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

Yeah, I bet the waveform is not good enough when the generator sees that big asymmetric load. (Does it happen when there's 0 load?)

Did you try playing with the settings in VEconfigure to instruct the multis to accept/tolerate broader waveforms?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The way that I understand it is that the generator is overloading. I wonder if the Neutral current is too high for the generator when it is running one legged for the time it takes the ATS to switch the L1 leg in.

2 |3000

vincent avatar image
vincent answered ·

That's probably what it is. I have since read a bunch of warnings from Honda about phase imbalance.

I was trying to think what is different about this installation and its that I used a 30A 120V ATS instead of the 50A 120/240 unit I normally use. So usually L1 and L2 are switched in at the same time, so as a result the inverters switch together even if "switch as group" is disabled. Then they apply a nice balanced load to the gen and all is well.

The way I have this one setup, L2 of the gen is direct wired to inverter 2, so its switching in early.

Thanks for the sounding board guys, I'll swap out the transfer switch and see if it behaves better.

2 |3000