question

westy81van avatar image
westy81van asked

Smartshunt vehicle chassis grounding

Hi there, I am going to be adding the Victron SmartShunt to my van setup to help monitor my auxiliary battery. Everything is currently wired per the diagram below. The battery and fuse block are grounded to the vehicle chassis.

My question is, how/where should I ground the battery/fuse block to the vehicle chassis when using the SmartShunt? None of the diagrams in the manual show the battery being grounded. I know everything will work without it, but isn't it best to ground the battery to the vehicle chassis?

Thanks
copy-of-aux-battery-wiring-diagram-v4.jpg

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marvs avatar image
marvs answered ·

The ground will be on the LOAD side of the SmartShunt. The only thing connected to the BATTERY side of the SmartShunt is the Negative terminal of the house battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbvanhorn avatar image
dbvanhorn answered ·

Here's how I'm wiring things. All your charge inputs and loads need to be on the non-battery side of the shunt.

vanwiring12242020.png

vanwiring12242020.png (287.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

westy81van avatar image westy81van commented ·

Are you grounding your -bus to the vehicle chassis?

0 Likes 0 ·
westy81van avatar image
westy81van answered ·

On a similar note, a few of my ground connections such as my stereo are wired to the factory chassis ground (not to my blue sea negative bus). The positive is going to the blue sea though. Would this mean that the draw from my stereo will be un-metered (until I re-route the negative to the Smartshunt)?
Thanks

2 |3000