question

jupiter avatar image
jupiter asked

Charging expensive Li-Ion Bike batteries in a safe way via Victron inverter while riding

I just bought 2 E-bikes with a Bosch Performance motor 65 Nm, a 500Ah Bosch battery and a 4A Bosch charger.

I want to charge the batteries with the Bosch charger 36V-4A / 230V-1,5A inside the camper while driving.

For this I want to connect the Bosch chargers to the 220 V Schuko output of a Victron Phoenix 12V / 500Watt pure sine wave inverter.

Which gets its energy from the Victron 130 Ah Gel Deep Cycle battery on-board battery. This battery is powered by the alternator of the Fiat engine from 2012 and by 2 solar panels of 120 Watt each via a Victron Bluesolar MPPT 75 V / 15 A charge controller.

My question: is this a safe way of charging the expensive Li-Ion Bike batteries?

And are there in this charging configuration things ready for improvement ? Or does anyone foresee other problems?

PS. Another question is which of these 2 configurations is better or safer?

Victron Deep Cycle Gel accu 12V/130AH

Victron Bluesolar MPPT 75V/15A

Victron Phoenix omvormer 12V/500Watt

Victron Deep Cycle Gel accu 12V/165AH

Victron Bluesolar MPPT 75V/15A

Victron Phoenix omvormer 12V/800Watt

Phoenix Inverter
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marvs avatar image marvs commented ·

You might look into a DC-DC charger that will work with your E-bike batteries and run that directly from your alternator. In your current setup you are using multiple devices and not being very efficient. You’re going from the alternator, to the battery to the inverter to the E-bike charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Jupiter

Since you will be charging the Bosch batteries with their own chargers they will be safe, all you need is an inverter that can run them both at the same time.

230v x 1.5A is 345W a charger. So two will be 690W.

The phoenix is VA rated not Watt rated so the 800VA will be pretty much maxed out for the two chargers pulling full load. But will do the job.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.