question

Tom avatar image
Tom asked

SuperPack Shuts Down

I have two Victron SuperPack 200Ah batteries connected in parallel with a BMC-712 to a Multiplus 3k/120V. After installing a Bosche 2.5 gallon water heater (rated at 12A/120v) which runs off the Multiplus, the batteries appear to shut down losing power on the AC and DC side and the Multiplus notes "Low Battery".

My understanding is that these batteries have a 70A continuous and 100A max 10sec peak.

Using the BMC-712 trend info via the phone app and noticed that power consumption was around 83 amps?

If I connect to a 15 AMP shore power via the Multiplus it work, no power drops. What am I doing wrong?

SuperPack
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Perhaps you could post a photo of the installation, showing all the connections, and a wiring diagram. It might help to see what is happening?

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Feeling like a complete knucklehead...I'm rewiring the connections between the batteries and between the batteries and Multiplus with 1-AWG (removing 4-AWG) after my 10th reading of the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

I had a similar problem running a 15k btu air conditioner on (x2) 200ah Superpacks (400ah total). The a/c would run at around 125-130amps continuous and the batteries would quickly disconnect the 3k multiplus inverter. I had expected the 70amp continuous x2 = 140amp to cover my needs but it needs more bandwidth (3 batteries)

I added a 3rd 200ah Superpack and it solved the problem. The airconditioner works great now. Saving up for 600ah more so I can sleep the night in this tropical heat :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Thank you but my challenge is a little different...my system is not draining the batteries. The batteries appear to be shutting down within a minute of the hotwater heater being turned on and there is plenty of capacity (Ah) remaining in them.

System daigram and photos will be posted tomorrow.

1 comment
2 |3000

octafish avatar image octafish commented ·

That’s precisely the problem I had in the beginning. The x2 Superpacks would overload (discharge) from the air conditioner, trigger an internal protection, that would in turn disconnect the Multiplus and the a/c all together.

Adding a 3rd Superpack solved this problem and the system runs smoothly now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Here is my electrical diagram and picture...noticed a low power notification this morning (11/28) (picture from touchscreen/Cerbo GX) attached.

lower_power notification.jpg

Installation.jpg

After uploading installation photo and lower power notification, I was able to remotely access and configure the Multiplus with VE Configure III - screenshots attached.

VeConfigure-General.PNG

VeConfigure-Charger.PNG

VeConfigure-Grid.PNG

VeConfigure-Inverter.PNG

VeConfigure-VirtualSwitch.PNG

Multiplus software version is 2702430

Van Electrical.pdf

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic