question

jxa avatar image
jxa asked

EM24 Smart Meter read out over Modbus TCP/IP

Hello,

the Smart Meter connection to the Victron controller via Modbus RTU (RS485) is only wisely in case you have a short Way between the Smart Meter and the Victron Controller.

In case you have a long way or different buildings the connection over TCP/IP is required.

To prevent to install a separate RS485 Bus Cable. (using structured cabling !)

Installation Example:

#######Buildings-A############ ###Buildings-B###

EM24 -->RS485-->Modbus TCP Gateway---------TCP/IP---------------->CerboGX

Now the Question:

How can i add the Smart Meter Connection via Modbus TCP/IP to my Cerbo GX?

(FW 2.60)

cerbo gxEnergy MeterModbus TCPrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sviwowa avatar image
sviwowa answered ·

Could you solve this topic?

I have an EM24 with RS284 and tried to use an Raspberry Pi with mbusd as TCP gateway. The Carlo Gavazzi software recognizes the EM24 via ethernet and can display the values.

Unfortunately, my Multiplus-II does not find the device. Also adding it manually does not help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anselm Karl avatar image
Anselm Karl answered ·

Hi, i am working on a solution to this problem. It works but the code is not yet very clean. You need to patch to files:

power_raspi/device.py at master · e33b1711/power_raspi · GitHub

power_raspi/carlo_gavazzi.py at master · e33b1711/power_raspi · GitHub

The go into opt/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client and need to be precompiled.

Originally there are from GitHub - victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client: Client for both ModbusTCP and RTU

You need root access to your venus device & handle with caution!

1 comment
2 |3000

pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips commented ·

Do you think this would work for a ET112 via a TCP Modbus bridge too?

Something like this would make a very cheap alternative to the ZigBee dongles: https://amzn.to/3a0671O

0 Likes 0 ·
Anselm Karl avatar image
Anselm Karl answered ·

The root problem is that the tcp and the rtu versions of the em24 are not using the same addresses. H/W is as state in the initial post.

2 |3000