question

jc1 avatar image
jc1 asked

MPPT Control display is stuck - only says "Connecting"

I've just installed a Smart Solar MPPT 150/45 and a MPPT control. The MPPT control only displays "connecting". Pressing the buttons doesn't do anything. They are connected with a VE direct cable. Is there something else that has to be done to get the display control to work?

MPPT Control display
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, there have been several issues with the MPPT Control. Including it being stuck showing "CONNECTING" or stuck showing "FETCHING HISTORY".

These are all solved. The last fix was made in September 2021, and since then no new issues have been reported. Finally.

To get issues solved, update both the MPPT Control and the Solar Charger to the latest firmware. More information on how to update here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/72020/mppt-control-repeatedly-into-connecting-status-aft.html..

Thank you to all for your patience in case you had this issue as well as all that helped get to the bottom of it!

Ps. I'm cleaning up old questions, to make sure anyone that still has issues gets to the right answer as smooth as possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Make sure your phone that you are trying to conect is also ON THE Internet as the unit may need a firmware update

2 |3000

Hi @jc1, what you are seeing is an issue with the MPPT Control.

It needs a firmware update to work properly with that Solar Charger. The required firmware version is v1.01.

Its unfortunately not field updatable; please contact your dealer to have it replaced under warranty.

I noticed just now that we don't have information available about this in Victron Professional (ie. a change log, with all the details); I'll make sure that that change log is made and put online within a few days.

2 |3000

kryz avatar image
kryz answered ·

I just read the above and checked my MPPT Controler and its V1.0.

Do I also need to get this a firmware update ???

Im now living in another country from where I bought it and no longer have the receipt. Is a firmware update still possible?

Thank you

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, please contact a dealer or distributor. It will be replaced under warranty without any hassle.

Firmware updating is unfortunately not so easy that we allow it in the field.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I had swapped out the MPPT control three times on our yacht for this fault. When first swapped the MPPT control would work well for week or two and then simply scroll ”CONNECTING”. The problem became frustratingly repeatable. I gave up after being asked by the dealer to swap out the VE.Direct cable. We have stopped cruising for a while so today I swapped it’s gain for another new one. It is still firmware version V1.0. It is working again but I have little faith it will continue to do so. It seems like a software issue like a buffer filling or stack overflow as after a short time it fails and simply scrolls “CONNECTING” on the screen. I will see how it goes this time (4th swapout).

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Trevor, we recently found a few issues with the MPPT Control; and are working to fix it - either with a MPPT Control firmware update and/or MPPT firmware update. I expect to have more news within a few weeks.

My apologies for inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. Four swap-outs is of course totally unacceptable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello mvader and thanks so much for the response. It was a very interesting fault as the new unit would work for a while and then go back to the fault condition. Great to hear the problem is well known to Victron and is resolved.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi all, good news; the issues are fixed now with new firmware versions: both for the mppt control and for the solar charger.

VictronConnect version v5.34, released yesterday, contains both those new firmware versions:

- update victronconnect (if it doesn’t do so by itself)

- connect to the solar charger, and update it (go to settings, product information)

- connect to the mppt control (see its change log on https://professional.victronenergy.com for how to do that; it requires the special mppt control power cable), and then the update will start automatically once you connect.

more details on how to connect are in the VictronConnect manual.

My apologies for the trouble, and also that it took us so long to fix.

All the best, Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

arm-d avatar image arm-d commented ·
Nice that you take care of this issue. Unfortunately for me the updates do not fix the problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
walmsleyc avatar image
walmsleyc answered ·

I have a Smart Solar 75/15 connected to a MPPT Control. It's be installed for 2+ years, and working well. Now, twice in the last month, the MPPT Control unit just says "CONNECTING" and buttons do nothing. Disconnecting the ve.direct cable and reconnecting gets it going again.

Firmware versions:

• Smart Solar 75/15: 1.56
  • MPPT Control: 1.0.1

Is there anything to do? does the MPPT Control unit need a firmware update?

2 |3000

arm-d avatar image
arm-d answered ·

I have the "CONNECTING" connecting issue with my Smart Solar 75/15. I have the system running since 2019 and the the problem appeared in MAY 2021, so I think it came from an update of the Smart Solar. I did regular updates and the Smart Solar has the firmware rev 1.56.
My MPPT Control unit was updated in JULY 2021 to rev. 1.02 and the problem was gone for some days, but now the "CONNECTING" issue is back again, so the firmware update did not fix the root cause.
This is very disappointing and I have already put a lot of effort in frequent resetting the system and finally uninstalling the control unit to update it without any success.
There is not even a simple method to do a reset, so every time the connection is lost I have to unplug the unit, which is not an easy task.

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @ARM_D , that sounds rather bad indeed! My apologies for all the troubles. MPPT firmware v1.02 is the latest one available, and we're not aware of any issues with that. I've asked a colleague to contact you and get this working as it should.
0 Likes 0 ·
tommo avatar image tommo mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi , my mppt control has this issue , please tell me how go forward and fix this issue, very frustrated
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @ARM_D

I've sent you an email to resolve this.

0 Likes 0 ·
tommo avatar image tommo Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
If you could help me too that would be great
0 Likes 0 ·
joelscarr avatar image
joelscarr answered ·

I have the same issues as noted here and on another thread. We have the MPPT 100/20 with the MPPT control. The first control ordered earlier this year showed "connecting" after a week or so of being installed and was replaced under warranty. The replacement did the same. Now the third unit, which the supplier said they updated before shipping it to me, now also simply says "connecting" after a week or so of being installed. I would be very grateful if Victron could please advise a final solution.

Thank you

2 |3000

arm-d avatar image
arm-d answered ·

Yesterday I saw there is a new firmware available for the MPPT Control: V1.03
The changelog says: Solve MPPT Control getting stuck in "CONNECTING"
Let's hope the issue is finally fixed. I will report here in case of any news.

Today I have updated my MPPT Control. After a few days we will see if it is any better now.
If not I am glad to help the Victron "engineers" to do their job properly. (You can book me, this was my job for more than 30 years)

@tommo @joelscarr - Please try the update so we can share our experience here.

2 comments
2 |3000

arm-d avatar image arm-d commented ·
Now after 8 weeks here is my update:

The MPPT Control still works fine, no more connection errors.
I believe the V1.03 really fixed the bug and I recommend to flash this firmware update.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ arm-d commented ·
Hi @ARM_D thank you for confirming its solved with v1.03. appreciated.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic