question

1mike avatar image
1mike asked

MPPT Control Connection Problem

I am looking for support for my Victron MPPT Control. It was accidentally disconnected from my Victron MPPT 150/70 Solar Controller and when replugged it in it is now randomly scrolling through the following names? - Conne, onnec and a bunch more names that have no meaning to me.

Tried unplugging for 30 minutes same thing. And None of the buttons work.

Can you please provide advise on how to restore the MPPT Control.

Thank you for your assistance.

MPPT Control display
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

I had the same thing happen to my MPPT control. It would simply scroll “connecting” and never actually connect to our 100/50 Bluesolar MPPT. It happened repeatedly (3 swaps for a new unit) and eventually I gave up. They would work to start with and within a week or two go back to scrolling “connecting” again. Very frustrating. When we had finished cruising for a while I decided to buy another one and try again. I have swapped it out today and as usual it is working again. I don’t predict it will continue to work. The dealer asked to swap out the VE.Direct cable which is when I gave up the first time. It is not the cable. It works when new and then stops working. It looks like a software issue. The remedy and then failure so far has been completely predictable. Now for the fourth time. I may get keen and sit across the serial bus ( pins 2 and 3 ) and see what comms is taking place when it happens again just for my own education.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, there have been several issues with the MPPT Control. Including it being stuck showing "CONNECTING" or stuck showing "FETCHING HISTORY".

These are all solved. The last fix was made in September 2021, and since then no new issues have been reported. Finally.

To get issues solved, update both the MPPT Control and the Solar Charger to the latest firmware. More information on how to update here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/72020/mppt-control-repeatedly-into-connecting-status-aft.html..

Ps. I'm cleaning up old questions, to make sure anyone that still has issues gets to the right answer as smooth as possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

The text "CONNECTING" is scrolling through the screen. This means the MPPT Control is trying to establish communications with the MPPT. Could it be that the VE.Direct cable or a connector on MPPT or MPPT Control got damaged when the MPPT Control got disconnected?

4 comments
2 |3000

1mike avatar image 1mike commented ·

Hi Thiemo, sorry about the delayed response I've been away sailing in the remote Pacific Northwest of Canada. I have checked all of my connections and there is no sign of damaged connectors. Is there any way to reset the MPPT Control so it reconnects? Thank you for your assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

There is no reset on the MPPT Control and if there was, it would not help because the CONNECTING really points to a hardware problem. Somehow the communication is not working. This could be due to cabling, connectors and/or one of the communication ports being broken on either the MPPT or the MPPT Control.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
1mike avatar image 1mike Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

How do you recommend testing the MPPT and the MPPT Control ports to isolate where the problem is. The MPPT is working properly from a charging perspective.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

When you have a VE.Direct-USB cable and a laptop (or Android phone with USB on the go adapter), you could try to connect to the MPPT using VictronConnect.

Also, when you have a multimeter that can measure resistance, you could try to measure each connection on both ends of the VE.Direct cable to see if the 4 wires in the cable are ok.

Analysing the MPPT control is harder. The only thing I can advise is look closely at the pins of the connector and see if any pins are bent.

Regards,

Thiemo

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

Did you try to shut off SolarPower AND BatteryPower from the MPPT 150/70

Just to make sure it does a fresh restart and hopefully "finds" the MPPT Control again.

1 comment
2 |3000

arm-d avatar image arm-d commented ·

The MPPT Control seems to have a firmware bug. My unit had version V1.00 and started to show the "CONNECTING" after an update of my Smart Solar MPPT 75/15.
Victron technicians then recommende to update the MPPT Control to version 1.02, which did not fix the issue. Finally a version V1.03 came out and after flashing the update, the unit works fine for several weeks now. So I recommend doing a firmware update rather than replacing the unit or the cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello,

VictronConnect 5.34 (and newer) contains new firmware for both the MPPT and the MPPT Control and can be downloaded here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

This VictronConnect can be used to update the MPPT Control, but this requires a VE.Direct USB cable and the power supply cable supplied with the MPPT Control.

The new MPPT firmware should help to mitigate the problem and the MPPT is easier to update as it is already powered (and in case of a SmartSolar can be updated via Bluetooth).

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic